Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Hierarchical tags

luken says:
In Lightroom I can create a tagging structure for tagging my photos. Meaning If I tag something with 'Bob' it wall also get tagged with the parent's 'Monkey' and 'Animal'.

Doing this with tags would be a great help as I could tag something with a single very specific tag (particular type of document to write, type of bug to fix, customer to work with, etc) and get an automatic tag that I can search on (say documentation, bugs, or customers) that pull up all todo's in that group.

Having this helps me focus my work, I can do all tasks requiring the current set of websites/programs that I have open so I don't have to bounce around as much.

Note that the parents don't need to and probably shouldn't be shown on the tags line of the todo unless explicitly added.
Posted at 8:09am on November 12, 2008
(closed account) says:
I currently do this with periods. IE #class.sociology or #home.chores so that I can use the tagContains: search parameter to look for certain tags (either more or less specific.

I put the higher tags before, but you could put them after instead. like this:

(for websites/customers)
google.client.website
or
rtmilk.debug

because then when you type #google, it will autocomplete with other parts of the tag.

(now that I think about it, i'm going to switch my tags around, hope that helps, because this is a feature i doubt the design team will add.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
sorry, I'm revising that, the latter part of my post DOES NOT work, it seems that tagContains only matches tags that start with the string. I'm emailing support about it now
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
ok they got back to me and said it should work, i tried it an hour later and it worked, happy tasking
Posted 12 years ago