Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Default priority level setting

notyourbroom says:
Hi,

I searched around for a bit, but I couldn't find any features like this...

What I would really love to have would be an automatic assignment of a default priority level to new tasks. This is what it would look like:

Top priority: Tasks for which I had manually toggled the top priority level.

Mid-priority: The default level assigned to all new tasks.

Low priority: The level I would assign to my recurring, non-urgent tasks that may be easily postponed (like "Do laundry")

This would make the ordering of my to-do list much more intuitive, because 90% of the time, any task that I manually add on-the-fly to my to-do list for a given day will have a higher priority than, say, doing the laundry... so I'd like for that to be automatically established, rather than me needing to manually toggle the priority each and every time.
Posted at 4:14pm on May 8, 2008
notyourbroom says:
Actually, here's an alternate way of thinking of it: it would be like a "default minimum priority level".

Currently, there are four priority levels, and new tasks are automatically assigned the lowest priority:

"none" (current default)

What I would like to do would be to change it to this, so that new tasks are assigned with a higher default priority level, enabling me the flexibility both to PROMOTE items to higher priority and to DEMOTE items to lower priority:

2 (new default)
"none"

Does this make sense?
Posted 15 years ago
notyourbroom says:
OK, I figured out a way to hack this together under the current system...

If I prepend a "z" to the task title for a recurring, low-priority task, then it automatically shuffles to the bottom of the list, which is the behavior I'm looking for. It's not a pretty solution, but it works.
Posted 15 years ago
orth says:
it could be just an option
Posted 11 years ago
freeminder says:
I like the idea of the ability to customize the default priority setting for newly added tasks. E.g., Android app already has the default due date and list settings, so it looks quite a natural extension of this functionality - as in mobile apps, so as in web interface. Also, as these will be just the optional settings, adding them won't hurt others who don't want to use them. And, this feature looks pretty easy to implement.
Posted 11 years ago
lillgu says:
+1!
Posted 11 years ago
bonwag says:
Been a while on this one; any progresss? Would be very handy to have in my current system (the ability to throw new tasks into the middle of my prioritised list would be nice)
Posted 6 years ago
cybersphere says:
I agree that this would be a good feature. I default to giving all new tasks a #1 priority
Posted 6 years ago
tailarson says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
jondcoleman says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
michael.durland says:
+2. Toodledo has this. Actually Toodledo lets you set defaults for all fields for new tasks. It would be nice if RTM had this too. For example, to follow Michael Linenberger's scheme, the default for "Start Date" could be set to Today, along with Priority=2.
Posted 6 years ago
jondcoleman says:
I would LOVE this.
Posted 6 years ago
theirix says:
Other fields like List or Due date have default values. There is no reason to miss a default Priority field.
Wonder why it needs ten years to implement.
Posted 5 years ago
chris.bujara says:
I will really like to be able to set a default priority, as described above. This would be really helpful when adding tasks via SIRI, who blithely ignores my requests to set task priorities.
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
I do agree. I'm new to RTM, and this is the only obvious option that seems to be missing IMO !
Posted 5 years ago
jondcoleman says:
:(
Posted 5 years ago
mdjnewman says:
+1

I currently use 'Low' for recurring tasks which can be postponed. This means they appear above the tasks with 'no priority'.

To me this makes 'no priority' a bit of a misnomer, as it effectively means 'lowest priority'. As a result, new tasks by default have lower-than-low priority, which is odd.
Posted 5 years ago
kunal.n.bhatia says:
+1 Please do put in a field for Default Priority. Would allow for a lot more customization for users; and it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 This would be valuable and seems like it would be easy to implement. Just one more drop down under settings.
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 4 years ago
peter.halverson says:
+1
Not that I expect it will make any difference, since this idea has not had any attention from RTM for over a decade.
Posted 4 years ago
joepollock says:
+1
Being able to set a default priority level would be very useful, I am currently using P4/none for low-priority/later in the day tasks so they sort to the bottom, but then I have to manually set all new tasks to P3 so that they sort higher. Setting all new tasks by default to P3 would make this more streamlined for me. Thanks!
Posted 3 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
If you create a smartlist that searches for your desired default priority, e.g., P3, and then you add new tasks while in that list, they will inherit that attribute, so that could be a workaround while you wait for the monkey.
Posted 3 years ago
pskarbon says:
yes to default priority and start date
Posted 3 years ago
iamjeffcohen says:
Another vote - yes please!
Posted 3 years ago
wayne.turetzky says:
+1 Please add this so Remember The Milk can be fully in alignment with Michael Linenberger's Manage Your Now.
Posted 3 years ago
danhotchkiss says:
Yes yes yes
Posted 3 years ago
yannick1478 says:
+1
Posted 3 years ago
harald_koschinski says:
A default priority would be helpfull.
Posted 1 year ago
harald_koschinski says:
What is the reason not to implement such a simple feature?
It's a shame for RTM
Posted 1 year ago