Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Recurring tasks with a start date and no due date should not invent a due date

kern3lly says:
Currently when I have, say:

"Reorganize drawers ~Today *after 6 weeks"

and finish this task, the new, automatically created one will be:

"Reorganize drawers ~Today ^in 6 weeks *after 6 weeks"

This is not intended. I intend for it to start being relevant (have the start date) after 6 weeks, so it should be:

"Reorganize drawers ~in 6 weeks *after 6 weeks"

In other words, if there's no due date, but there is a start date and recurrence, then please advance the start date and keep the due date empty.

I see no point in the current behavior. What is the use case? I may not know something. My own use case is that I have a smart list that filters out all tasks that their start date did not occur yet so I don't have to see them on the list. In this example I don't want to have a due date because it's pointless - a due date gives urgency (and is sorted higher) and this task can wait even a few weeks. But at the same time, it makes no sense to see it when I've just done it (the drawers are reorganized).

Hope that's clear and will get sorted out. Thanks in advance! :)
Posted at 9:52pm on October 12, 2021
(closed account) says:
I believe the system now assumes that the task will be Due based on the repeat. But, I agree with kern3lly; it would be nice to be able to set a repeating pattern based on a Start date.
Posted 2 years ago
kim.writing says:
You can't make the task recurring without a due date. Not sure why, but that's the way it works at the moment, the 'recurrence' part directly increments the due date.
I would love to be able to have the task recur with the start date incremented.
Posted 1 year ago