Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Let Smart Lists set properties for tasks

brotoc says:
I tend to prioritize my tasks based on a set of standard criteria (e.g. urgent vs important). I use tags to mark the tags with these criteria, and let the priorities emerge. I'd love to be able to create separate smart lists with combinations of these criteria (e.g. important but not urgent / important and urgent / etc) and let the smart list automatically set priorities for the tasks it filters in. E.g. everything on the "Important and urgent" smart list would automatically be assigned "Priority 1" or some other tag of my choice.

If there's a workaround for this, please share.
Posted at 2:44pm on February 11, 2019
brotoc says:
Is there an update on this request?
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
I think 1 problem comes in when the criteria for a Smart List contain multiple possibilities. Example:

(list:This OR list:That) AND (tag:one OR tag:two) AND dueBefore:tomorrow OR startBefore:tomorrow)

If this is your Smart List and you create a new task while in this Smart List, what properties should be set for it? There are ambiguities built into the Smart List criteria that would make it impossible for RTM to know exactly what list or tags or dates to put on the task.
Posted 2 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Does this help?
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answer/basics-smartlists-addtask
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
That's perfect, ranbarton. Thanks!

See especially the last paragraph:
Note: Properties are only inherited where the Smart List is unambiguous. If your Smart List looks for tasks that are tagged apples OR oranges, the new task won't inherit either tag. However, if your Smart List is for tasks tagged apples AND oranges, the new task will be tagged with both of these tags.
Posted 2 years ago