Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

"Uncompletable" tasks

mackar says:
Basically, a task that you can not accidentally complete.

For example, you have a list called "Big project". Inside you have several tasks "Phase1", "Phase2", "Phase3"...and inside those you continuously add subtasks and sub-subtasks and so on.

The problem is, "Phase" tasks can be accidentally completed. and all the subtaks are gone.
Sure, "you just tap undo" or "you just create 'Phase' lists instead of 'phase' tasks"...but all this defeats the purpose of lists and taks, or becomes a real pain.

The solution...I am thinking on something simple. Add an option to make a task "uncompletable" or say if you add a task with a "*" in front it automatically becomes "uncompletable" (i.e. *Phase1 or * Phase1).

Regards,
Posted at 5:57pm on January 12, 2018
mackar says:
Another option, I am guessing more complex, is to create subprojects.
Posted 6 years ago
fhettenbach says:
why not using tags for the project-description.
Let's not make RTM into a projectmanagement tool-
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
I think it would be nice to have an option to disallow completing a task when its subtasks remain incomplete. It should be a per-task option, however.
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
After seeing the value of this on another platform, I am very much in favor of this idea. The * wouldn't work as that's what triggers the repeat options in Quick Add, but to be able to make a task unrepeatable would be very helpful for the reasons given by @mackar.

One way I'd use it is in the way I do major projects. I create a list titled "P-Project Name". In that list are the following tasks:
[] Goal <- here I have notes with the desired outcome
[] Brainstorm <- brainstorming notes
[] Implement <- most of the action tasks are under this
[] Test <- tasks designed to test the implementation
[] Wrap-up <- tasks to close loops and clean up
[] Summary <- final notes and lessons learned

I'll have subtasks and sub-subtasks inside most of these headings. It'd be very helpful to mark these parent tasks as uncompletable.
Posted 1 year ago