Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Bookmarkable URLs (permalinks) for lists and Smart Lists

vicentginer says:
Hi!

I think it would be great if the URL changed when you select a list or a smart list.

I mean, it would great to have something like this:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/home/user/?=list_name

so that I can bookmark that address or use it to go directly to one concrete list, or whatever.

I hope you can understand what I mean, with my poor English...

Sorry if this feature already exists, but I don't know how to do it...

Thanks!
Posted at 11:59am on November 10, 2006
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
This is now possible with the new Remember The Milk. Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I like this idea a lot, especially if you could target a smartlist.
Posted 17 years ago
nathanpeterson says:
totally. would be super helpful!
Posted 16 years ago
erik says:
I bookmark my main list like this:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/home/erik/######/

where ###### is the list id. You can find the list id in the "Print", "iCalendar", etc links from the list sidebar properties. I believe this works for lists and smartlists, although I only use it for my single main list so I can't be sure.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Works for smart lists too - clever!
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Thanks, Erik!
Posted 15 years ago
rubyji says:
I used the same workaround as Erik, but I found the list ID from m.rememberthemilk.com - while already DOES have permalinks for lists.

Please, RTM, just add a permalink in the list options for each list so we can use this easily!
Posted 11 years ago
olliebaum says:
The permalinking feature for lists is useful but a feature that would greatly expand RTM's flexibility would be an option to permalink to specific searches. Not only would the feature be useful for bookmarking regular (but long) searches but the ability to use the links within RTM itself would be great.
Here is an example of how I might use the feature:
I want to add films to my "Stuff to watch" list. In my list, I have a variety of media and so I separate them with the tags #film, #tv etc. If I am adding a lot of films I often forget to add the #film tag to each one so I construct a search, tag:films AND list:"Stuff to watch", which allows me to add films as tasks that are tagged automatically. Then if I plan to go in search of some films to add, then I can add a task "Research some more Miyazaki films to add to my filmlist" and paste the appropriate permalink in the notes.
My example is perhaps a little simple but this feature could be very powerful in a number of circumstances.
I do realise that a search can be saved as a smart list which can in turn be permalinked, but I, and I expect most RTM users, prefer to keep my lists to a minimum such that I can preserve some clarity. The option, however, to hide lists would provide the ability to link to a saved search (i.e. smart list) without it appearing as a formal list.
I also realise that lists can be archived, but the act of unarchiving a list whom's resulting search you would like to link to is lengthy and also means that while you wish the link to remain active, you must put up with an extra smart list floating around your (painstakingly organised) RTM screen. Surely allowing archived smart lists to retain the ability to be permalinked would be no great feat?
Also, perhaps archived lists could be renamed as 'hidden lists' since an archived smart list doesn't actually retain the tasks within a list at the time of archiving (it is simply a saved search-query), only regular lists have that feature.
A hidden smart list (or 'saved search') would be most powerful if the user could select it from the task cloud. This way the user could keep search queries without being forced to have a tab. An option in list settings to show/hide a 'saved search' from the task cloud would also be useful in allowing the user to choose whether their smart list is fully visible, visible only in the task cloud or only available via permalink. Otherwise, archived smart lists could just be searches that you want to keep but do not actively need to access.
Perhaps I demand too much - but these seem like small and logical changes that would greatly develop the capabilities of RTM without changing its overall philosophy or appearance.
Posted 11 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.