Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Custom Fields

mkny13 says:
I'd like a setting to add custom fields. I am always tweaking my process, but it centers around the basics of GTD. I use tags for a lot of GTD type indicators--project, people related to task, status (pending, hold, next). While tags work, it would be nice to at least have the option of adding custom fields, so I could break out these categorizations from other tags. There are ways to do this already with multiple lists or prefixes to tags, but I feel it would be useful to have a cleaner way to do it.

The way I envision this is a settings page, with say five custom field entries. Each used field would require a field_name, "exclusive" setting (yes=only one value allowed, like Location; no=multiple values allowed, like tags?) , and keyboard shortcut (optional)

Examples:
Context (Home, Work, Phone, Computer, Anywhere), exclusive
Project (Find new car, Redesign webpage), nonexclusive

Any user defined custom fields would simply appear below the system fields, on the right of the tasks list. Critically, they would not populate the tag cloud nor the tag autocomplete. They would autocomplete when editing a task, if the field is active. The custom fields would also have to be searchable. I realize that adds some additional complexity to the back-end, but it seems surmountable from my far perch.
Posted at 2:09pm on August 19, 2011
This idea is considered similar to "Custom task fields", and all votes have been transferred to that idea.