Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Add a 'description' field for lists

chrispaton says:
Hi there,

First off just want to say that RTM has been influential in helping me get more organised in the 8 months that I've been using it. Thank you to everyone at RTM for providing such a useful tool!

In any case, I group each of my tasks by themes that I have in my life and have a list for each. It would be great to have a simple "list description" feature that lets you type some text that appears at the top of the list (I'd imagine it would appear below the add box). This would enable people to optionally have a description / mission statement for a list. Ideally, you'd be able to have hyperlinks in the text. An example of this is Cooking list which could contain a link to my Evernote recipe book or other recipe sources for when I want to top up my list with new recipes.

This is just my use case, but I imagine that there are lots of reasons people might want a bit of text at the top of their list. Anyone else think this feature could be useful to them?

Cheers,
Chris Paton
Posted at 7:37pm on September 3, 2010
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Some people have achieved this effect by creating a task which appears at the top of the list - using priority, or date, or alpha depending on their sort settings. This gives them some text that is always on top, and they can use tags to suppress its appearance elsewhere.
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
I second chrispaton.

creating an important task to be on top is a workaround solution. The word itself "workaround" bugs me and what bugs me about this temporary solution, ranbarton offered, is that you'll always have that single task that you can't finish. It would let you down and could me you feel miserable just for thinking that you have n+1 tasks. Nevertheless, I used to do it :)

I am not an expert, but I think it's just another column in the db.
Posted 13 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I realize my suggestion is not ideal. There are all sorts of refinements I seek in RTM, to enhance what is a terrific site. Yet these changes come very rarely, and if they do come, they do so slowly, and so I suggest workarounds to help make the current site, in its current state, more usable to people while they wait for whatever changes they seek to percolate in Bob's laboratory.
Posted 13 years ago
kamil.kisiel says:
I would love to have this feature. I share a lot of lists with my girlfriend and when I'm sharing a new one she hasn't seen before it would be really helpful if I could add a short text description of what it is and how to use it.
Posted 12 years ago
thiemehennis says:
I love RTM and have used it for a couple of years now. One thing I would like, which does not seem too complex, is a list description. I would like to add general text notes or description to a List. E.g. I have a list about a food strategy I am working on, and I want to add the most important elements to the list description, not as a separate task (preferably).
Posted 3 years ago