Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Better looking widgets

alexlavr says:
I like RTM for Android but the widget looks pretty boring. It would be nice if there were some nicer backgrounds for it. Just making it somewhat transparent would do it.
Posted at 2:46am on May 7, 2010
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We've updated the widget styles for Android 2.0+ in our 1.3.0 update to make things look a little prettier. :)

While we don't have any new widget options/features in 1.3.0, we're definitely looking at this for a future update.
Posted 13 years ago
cecolon says:
Yes, the widget seems to follow the (old) Android Developer's guidelines, and fits well with the standard Android calendar etc - but the Sense style is a lot more appealing, with black transparent backgrounds.
Posted 13 years ago
redders6600 says:
I really like the widgets but I agree that a little more customisation would be really nice :)

I'd like some extra sizes available - 1x4 and 2x4 would be popular with me.
Posted 13 years ago
bkoppe says:
I definitely agree with cecolon: a widget with black transparency, like those made by HTC, would be a great option.

If the widget stays white and opaque like it is now, I think it'd look better without the border. I am currently using the Android 2x2 calendar widget next to the 2x2 RTM widget, and it looks a little odd that one has a border but the other doesn't, yet they're very similar otherwise.

I also agree with redders6600 about 1x4 and 2x4 widget sizes (or is it 4x1 and 4x2?)

I'm currently considering going pro, and these options would go a long way toward making the paid experience enticing.
Posted 13 years ago
rfairless says:
I am a pro user, but i use astrid (with rtm sync) on my htc desire because the widgets are so terrible looking.

It really would be great to see rtm offer better looking widgets (as mentioned above with the htc sense style would be nice).

Thanks.
Posted 13 years ago
bryan.osborn says:
I would like a full-screen widget in addition to full-width. Both would be really helpful for me.
Posted 13 years ago
iskin says:
In Android 2 Google start to use new widget style – without transparent. Example: http://images.macworld.com/images/opinion/graphics/146788-android-home_original.jpg . I think, RTM widget should be something like standard calendar (see top right corner in example) widget with white non-transparent background. White cloud style is ugly.
Posted 13 years ago
apoapostolov says:
While the white background serves RtM visual style, the basic frames and design are too cheaply made to be useful. Also, the app really lacks 4x1, 4x2 and 4x3 designs.
Posted 13 years ago
joegtd says:
More size options would be great. I think the widget would look much better full-screen or full width than it does in its current size offerings.
Posted 13 years ago
goblue says:
I updated and the widgets look the same :(
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
goblue,
You may want to remove and readd the widget if it still hasn't changed. You may also need to remove the widget, restart your phone, and add it again.

Hope this helps!
Posted 13 years ago
goblue says:
Hmmm....I did that, even un-installed. I use show all tasks, and it does not look any different. What changed?
Posted 13 years ago
goblue says:
Can someone post what changed in the widgets?
Posted 13 years ago
bkoppe says:
Thank you for the updated widget style! I'm giving the app another trial and maybe the various improvements will convince me. While it'd be great to have at least a 4x4 option (if not also 4x1 and 4x2), and ideal to have a dark transparency option for HTC Sense devices, it's nice to see progress and know that you're looking at more ideas for future updates. It makes a huge difference when developers are communicative about what they're working on so that users don't feel like the app is stagnant - keep it up! :)
Posted 13 years ago
christian.waidner says:
Hmm, widgets look still terrible boring, formats are still 2x2 and 3x3, which is of no use on my configuration. Why not provide configurable sizes oder at least 2x4, so that I don't waste space on my legend?
Posted 13 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.