Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How to set a start date or similar?

davidscottweaver says:
I'm still testing RTM on the trial with the iphone app. There are some things about Toodledo I like that don't seem to be possible with RTM, but I'm sure I'm overlooking something.

Toodledo has a start date field, which allows you to have a task show up on a list at a specified number of days before it's actually due. I use this for bills and birthday gifts. For instance, I don't like a cluttered list, so I normally look at only past due, due, and due a few days out. This isn't so good for birthday gifts though, as I need more time than a few days out to shop for the gift. However, I'd like to keep the due date the actual birthday "for the record". Is there a way to put in either a lead time (in days) or a start date?

Also, Toodledo lets you specify a due date in multiple ways (due by, due on, due after, etc.). If I due "Due on" for instance, that task does not show up in any list before that date, which is very handy for tasks I don't need a "heads-up" for (like taking out the trash on trash day).

The $25 a year is a drawback for sure since all this functionality is free at Toodledo, but the iPhone app is so damn fast that it's almost work that itself. Please help!

Thanks!
Posted at 2:22pm on November 11, 2008
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
There is a tweak that works well, allowing you to decide how far in advance a due task appears in a RTM smart list:

Create a smart list with the following criteria, call the list "zzz":
(tag:zzz AND dueAfter:now)
OR (tag:z1d AND dueAfter:"1 day of now")
OR (tag:z2d AND dueAfter:"2 days of now")
OR (tag:z1w AND dueAfter:"1 week of now")
OR (tag:z1m AND dueAfter:"1 month of now")
You can create and use as many tags as you like using this pattern.

I use this in my other smartlists in order to hide tasks I don't want to see yet:
Smart list at work: location:@work AND NOT list:¤zzz

Some typical tasks could be (this trick works especially well with repeating tasks in order to hide a recently completed task):
- Buy birthday present to spouse, due: 1 june, tag: z1w
- Clean fridge, due friday, tag: z1d

For this to work, you have to:
1 Set up the smart list zzz as above (once)
2 Add AND NOT list:¤zzz to your smart lists (once)
3 Add a zzz/z1d/z1w etc to tasks you want to hide until later (every time)
Posted 15 years ago
davidscottweaver says:
Yikes, cool way to use the tags, but that seems like a lot of work! To bad some sort of lead time couldn't be built in.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Well, I would just copy the text above and paste into the search box. Save smart list as ¤zzz and finally add AND NOT list:¤zzz to my regular smart lists. Couldn't take more than 2 minutes and then you're set.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I don't use rajjan's clever tags; I use a smartlist that looks out 7 days for nearly everything.

If you want a simple, no-tag start date workaround, then use the due date as your start date and just add the due date to the task description.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I agree that this would be a valuable feature. I want to be able to set different start dates per task. The solutions above apply the same filter to all tasks.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
pjscott, my suggestion is one-size-fits-all-tasks, but rajjan's tagging method can vary the lead times as much as you wish, on a per task basis.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.