Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Is the Site in a State of Code Freeze? Please Be Frank ...

(closed account) says:
It seems like forever and a day since a new ability within the site's structure itself (as opposed to a new way of accessing the site's contents) has been rolled out, and throughout that time, there have many requests -- some which were loudly lauded by a large number of users.

Those of us who aren't Pro certainly realize we're getting a wonderful tool for free. But, nonetheless, I think it's not inappropriate to, at this time, pointedly ask: is the site's feature set currently frozen as is?

I stayed loyal to a mail client for years because they kept stringing along their users, saying that, no, their product wasn't frozen, it was still being developed -- but then they'd roll out a new app, and updates to that app, and eventually the adherents of that mail client nearly all up and left. Whether the app is actually dead or not now doesn't matter: its userbase is.

That's obviously not a danger for RTM any time soon. But some frank honesty as to when we might actually see any one of the five hundred seventy-three million, four hundred twenty-two thousand ideas spoken about in these forums actually IMPLEMENTED would be widely appreciated by all of your userbase. Even understanding that about 80% of those contributed ideas are silly and to be ignored, there are still recurring themes of ideas that make it very clear what people are desiring next.

So how 'bout it, RTM folk? Is the site's current feature set frozen, or will there ever be a day when some features people are dying for are rolled out? (And I am specifically using the phrase "the site's current feature set" to exclude developments involving new means of accessing the site.)
Posted at 6:02pm on April 9, 2008
aaronhh says:
Dude, browse the forums for responses from "Emily" and you will see that changes are being made on a weekly , if not daily basis. Are you one of those types of people who will complain about anything? It doesn't sound to me like you "certainly realize" that you are getting a wonderful tool for free. I for one am realizing that based purely on the current features of RTM, that I am a major Douche Bag for not signing up for the Pro Membership already!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've never had much respect for those people who attack others for merely posing a question, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You mind pointing me to some of these "weekly, if not daily" changes? Or to said posts you claim support your point?
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
wcitypoe, I'm sorry I probably don't have too much to add since I last responded to you on this topic in September 2007 (and before that, in March 2007 :)

We're working hard on RTM, and as always there will continue to be application improvements as well as the launch of other much-requested features. We do read every single suggestion posted on the forums and sent to us via email, and are very much aware of which features people are requesting, but of course development of new features takes time (even with the services of a very talented code monkey and cow at our disposal...).

As aaronhh mentioned, changes are indeed happening on a regular basis -- they may not be as "exciting" as new features, but we're continually fixing issues that people experience with RTM, dealing with issues introduced by factors outside our control (e.g. new browser versions or new versions of Gmail's code :), and doing a lot of work in the background to make sure that RTM continues to function speedily for 500,000 people. When we're done with that, we get the opportunity to work on and launch new stuff too :)
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
I think that if anybody actually adds tasks to RTM on 30 seperate days, (not necessarily consecutive), that they will either be more than happy to pay for a pro membership, based on their current satisfaction, or they will never be satisfied enough with RTM to be happy paying for a Pro Membership. (believe it or not, there are actually people who are never satisfied with anything, no matter how good it gets. the glass is always half empty for them.)

Therefore, I would like to propose that RTM offer the first 30 task adding days for free, and then freeze the ability to add additional tasks. Obviously, if people want to dodge paying, they can keep transfering their data to a new free account, but I think that most people who are more than satisfied, like myself, will be more than happy to pay the very inexpensive cost of becoming a Pro Member, in order to continue adding tasks under that same account.

The best thing about this idea, is that most of the perpetual complainers, will end up paying for a Pro Membership which will give RTM a huge boost in Revenue, which will enable RTM to hire more people, which will enable the perpetual complainers to get more of what they want faster! So it will be a win--win for everybody!

You have got to admit, this is a great idea!
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
Obviously, current members would get the next 30 task adding days for free, after this policy is implemented.
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
Obviously, current members would get the next 30 task adding days for free, after this policy is implemented.

Which would cause some people who were planning to pay sooner to procrastinate for another 30 task adding days, which would possibly lower the average new Pro membership signup rate for the next two or three months, but then after that the rate of new Pro-membership signups should sky-rocket up, right? Another brilliant marketing strategy is to do what Ever-Note is doing, which is to only allow people to join by invite, and only give each member ten invites, which causes people to psychologically place an increased value on sending invites since supposedly they can only send 10 invites. Even though every new member can also send 10 invites, so it is really unlimited invites, but psychologically, people will place a higher priority and value on inviting the ten people who they feel would most appreciate an RTM membership while RTM is still in the "Beta" phase.
Posted 16 years ago
pwolchak says:
Hmm, it's an interesting balancing act for the RTM folks. People like free and that draws a lot of users, so free is good marketing.

An alternative might be that basic functionality is always free but that a larger set of premium features are only available for Pro accounts. I believe only MilkSync currently operates on this model.

And that model does work -- I am about to sign up for a Pro account after using MilkSync for only two days. (Although I am disheartened to see that -- again -- Create Task in RTM for Gmail is not working.)

As to wcitypoe's comment, while it sounded like there wasn't enough appreciation for the great freebie we all get, it may just be that forums/e-mail/IM/etc., are inaccurate media for transmitting intent, tone, emotion, etc.

He/she probably wasn't being unappreciative.

Peter
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
"Those of us who aren't Pro certainly realize we're getting a wonderful tool for free."
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
@aaronhh

Why keep posting this idea in different forums and in unrelated topics?

Once is enough - if the idea is stimulating enough it will gain traction that way - no by shear weight on numbers of postings.

See:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/4259/
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/4259/

and of course here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/4241/

Thanks
Posted 16 years ago
aaronhh says:
wcitypoe ==>

bottom line: we are both losers for posting criticisms of RTM when we have not contributed the minuscule TWO DOLLARS PER MONTH to be a pro member. But maybe you are a poor college student just like I am. But, to be honest, I put more than TWO DOLLARS PER MONTH into the vending machine on campus, so if I want to continue to complain about anything on RTM, then I should really sacrifice a couple of sodas per month so that I can contribute to RTM before I make any more complaints. If you look around the forums, you will see that I have posted a few complaints, and I still have not paid, so I am obviously just as big of a loser as you are, but at least I realize that my behavior makes me a loser. You don't even seem to have a clue. LOL :)
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
johnwin pro ==>

I just wanted to see if your OCD would cause you to find every single duplicate post that I made on the forums. LOL

just kidding.

:)
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.