Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Google Assistant error when in Google Maps Navigation Mode

hunterpritchett says:
I posted this same topic here but it was closed after 90 days without any responses. https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/27615/

As you can see at that link, this has been a reported issue for over 6 months. It would be nice to get some feedback.

Remember the Milk's integration with Google Assistant through the phrase "Hey Google, Talk to Remember the Milk" works fine for me unless I am trying to talk to the device while in Google Maps' Navigation Mode, in which case after saying the above phrase I get the response: "Ok, getting remember the milk...Sorry, Remember the Milk isn't supported on this device."

This is very disappointing because 90% of the time I want to use RTM through Google Assistant is when I'm driving. I believe this is a bug, but if there is a way to fix this let me know. Otherwise, please let me know how to submit a bug report.
Posted at 4:42pm on June 15, 2022
(closed account) says:
hunterpritchett - I use IFTTT for that rather than the standard Google Assistant. I have the RTM and Google Assistant services connected in IFTTT and it's setup as "RTM $". So, I say "Hey Google, RTM Check with Larry on his speaking topic." I then get a reply from Google Assistant that says, "I'll create an RTM task to check with Larry on his speaking topic." The task ends up in my RTM Inbox.

You have to install the IFTTT app and have an IFTTT account (free), and you need to setup the IFTTT applet, but it's pretty handy. Off hand, I can't think if I've used it while in Navigation Mode, but I can test it (provided I remember to do it).

Not a solution, but perhaps a workaround.
Posted 1 year ago
(closed account) says:
Here's RTM's writeup on how to use IFTTT with RTM:
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/ifttt/
Posted 1 year ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi hunterpritchett,
I don't have an update on this issue. I'll let you know when I do! It's something we have on our list to investigate.

In the meantime, it may be possible to use something separate like geojono's workaround! Thanks for sharing, geojono. 💙
Posted 1 year ago
hunterpritchett says:
Hi, it isn't clear if geojono's workaround works in navigation mode, which is the whole point. Please let me know if there are plans to fix this or not.
Posted 1 year ago
gleitz says:
Now that IFTTT is essentially incompatible with Google Assistant, I'd like to see the RTM team take their Assistant integration more seriously.

I can almost get what I need with the slightly clunky phrase:

Ok Google, ask Remember The Milk to remind me to pick up the milk at 5pm

However, the Navigation Mode bug means I have to touch my phone while I'm driving (unsafe) and I have to be constantly thinking about what mode my phone is in when I want to use Assistant to talk to RTM.

It's been almost a year without any progress on this issue. Can it be prioritized soon? Or is it possible to open source the RTM plugin for Assistant so the community can help troubleshoot?
Posted 1 year ago
hunterpritchett says:
Yeah, this really needs to be fixed. Any updates?
Posted 1 year ago
hunterpritchett says:
Maybe it's time to start looking for an alternative app? Without even an estimation about when this will be fixed and considering the months we've been waiting, it doesn't seem that this honestly pretty big issue is going to be resolved.
Posted 1 year ago
(closed account) says:
Here's a somewhat robust conversation about that with good opinions on both sides of the issue.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/29192/
Posted 1 year ago
hunterpritchett says:
The only reason I haven't switched services at this point is that I haven't taken the time to find a new one.

How hard can implementing Google Assistant with RTM in driving mode be? It already works when not in driving mode. I get that extensive new features take time, but this seems like a simple bug fix?
Posted 10 months ago
Hi hunterpritchett,
Unfortunately Google is sunsetting the "conversational" Google Assistant Actions that our action uses.

This document is geared for developers but is pretty general if you're interested in details.

Anyhow, we are continuing support as long as we can but I think the development team is waiting to see what options are available before making any specific changes. I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that detail sooner. 💙
Posted 10 months ago
hunterpritchett says:
I look forward to hearing how this issue will be resolved after that information is available.
Posted 7 months ago
hunterpritchett says:
Hi, now that Conversational Actions has been sunset by google, will RTM support Google Assistant Shortcuts? Honestly, I haven't found another task app that meets some critical criteria for me so my threats of leaving the app are pretty hollow for now, but not having voice integration is a pretty glaring issue that seems like it should be pretty simple to fix. I don't need complicated voice commands. Just a simple "add this task to rtm" with a default due date of the day you created the task would be more than sufficient for me. I can always go and edit the details later, but what I need is just a way to remind myself of something when I can't write it down.
Posted 4 months ago
Hi hunterpritchett,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I don't have anything specific to mention right now, except that this is on the radar of the development team. We'll be in touch with more details as that changes.

We appreciate your feedback and how important this would be to you! I've let the rest of the team know about that too.

Let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime! 💙
Posted 4 months ago
hunterpritchett says:
Bumping to keep this topic active and check if there are any updates.
Posted 9 weeks ago