Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Identify & Remove Empty Tags

abhay.kushwaha says:
Over the years of usage, I have picked up a long list of tags, many of which I no longer use any more. Is there a way to identify "empty" tags (tags with no tasks assigned, completed or incomplete) so I can quickly delete them?
Posted at 9:37am on March 5, 2022
(closed account) says:
I don't know of a way to do this (Andrew may know of a way), but you can view the tags list and see all the tags without numbers next to them. But if you want to include completed tasks, you'd have to go into each tag and check.
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
I'd like to 'archive' those tags. That is, I would still like to have them attached to completed tasks, but just not see them anymore.
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
@blackshift - Having the ability to archive tags is a great idea. You should add that to the Ideas forum for people to vote on. I'd vote for that feature.
Posted 2 years ago
azclaire says:
I do this on several platforms:

Create a tag called “Z-old”. Change the empty tag name to “Z- and make it a sub tag to Z-old.

This keeps them on all tasks - accounting for possible completed tasks. This allows me to roll them up to 1 task name at the very bottom of my tag list - out of sight.
Posted 2 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
It's not possible to delete empty tags automatically, but you can hide them in the left navigation bar.

Archiving is available for lists, but not for tags. It may not be appropriate in all circumstances but you can create a list, move the tasks to that list, and then archive that list to keep those tasks organized.

(That just falls apart if you use a lot of tags across tasks, since tasks can only be in one list.)

Thanks for all the feedback though! Yes, voting in the Ideas forum would be welcome if you want to see any of these or add your own ideas about tags.
Posted 2 years ago
abhay.kushwaha says:
I did not follow your last few paragraphs Andrew.

It would be nice for a way (perhaps in the settings) to just "Remove all unused tags" (specifically tags with no complete/incomplete tasks with them).
Posted 2 years ago
abhay.kushwaha says:
Also, thank you geojono, blackshift, and azclaire, for responding to my query.
Posted 2 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.