Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM crashes on Android

sundarvenkata84 says:
RTM refuses to open on Android since last night
Posted at 4:23am on February 21, 2022
cjug says:
Same here for me this morning - nothing in the widget, and it doesn't open from any widget or just a normal launcher.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S10e with Android 12 (I've had Android 12 for a few weeks and it's been fine, though the OS has complained once or twice that RTM keeps closing; however it's remained apparently working).

Not being able to use it on my phone is a serious issue for me.
Posted 2 years ago
cjug says:
It now seems to be loading - I guess something server/cloud side was fixed?
Posted 2 years ago
davewh says:
Same thing started for me this morning on a Moto G7 Plus with Android 10.
Posted 2 years ago
sundarvenkata84 says:
Please fix ASAP. I rely on RTM as a daily driver.
Posted 2 years ago
corradino says:
RTM refuses to open on Android since this morning
Posted 2 years ago
sputnam123 says:
Same problem here.
Posted 2 years ago
cdawg says:
I have the same issue. It started yesterday and the problem is still there this morning.
Posted 2 years ago
tcanderson says:
I could not open either, but see some have had success so I uninstalled and re-loaded and was able to finally open.
Posted 2 years ago
davehenning says:
RTM has been crashing on and off for days. Seemingly since the Feb security update from Samsung. Today it won't load at all. Previously it would not load for a while, then clearing cache sometimes works. Not today.

S21 Ultra on Android 12.
Android security patch level: February 1, 2022
Posted 2 years ago
sputnam123 says:
Now working again.
Posted 2 years ago
hasam64 says:
It is working now, but I had to clear all storage data for the app and log in again.
Posted 2 years ago
pascal.quantin says:
Suffering this crash since yesterday (seems cloud related as the app does not crash when being in airplane). It stopped crashing a short time today but now it is back. It would be appreciated to get some feedback from the team concerning this outage and the estimated duration.
Posted 2 years ago
pascal.quantin says:
Thanks hasam64, clearing the storage data and loggin again solved the issue for me also.
Posted 2 years ago
cdawg says:
Thanks fir the tip. Clearing the data solved it for me, too.

As a long-time user, I find it disappointing that the RTM support folks never weighed in on this issue.
Posted 2 years ago
davewh says:
Mine started working again several hours ago, without any special steps taken on my end.
Posted 2 years ago
cjug says:
Mine was working earlier, but is now back to not opening.
Posted 2 years ago
andrea.haman says:
Also would not open on my Galaxy today. Reinstalled and it seems to be fine. Got a system message earlier in the week that the app was using a lot of bkgd data, and error msgs over the past few days.
Posted 2 years ago
rob.teszka says:
Keeps crashing for me too. Samsung Galaxy S8, android v 9
Posted 2 years ago
corradino says:
Clearing the data solved it for me, too.
Posted 2 years ago
jillyt says:
Same - emailed RTM last night. Samsung. will try to clear data
Posted 2 years ago
jillyt says:
Yaye, sorted. Thanks for the advice.
Posted 2 years ago
scott3r says:
Same for my wife and I... pretty disappointing for what we pay annually.
Posted 2 years ago
jayaallen says:
And here....
Posted 2 years ago
benjamin.yost says:
RTM is broken on my Pixel 3 since this afternoon. I uninstalled and it won't reinstall. Help please!
Posted 2 years ago
benjamin.yost says:
Oddly enough I could reinstall after complaining there and it works fine.
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
TL;DR: clearing all data seems to have fixed the crash for me.

I've had intermittent crashes too for the last few weeks, and since yesterday the app wouldn't open at all. Following the advise shared above & clearing all data seems to have resolved the problem (for now at least - hoping it lasts :-) ). Using a Samsung Galaxy A70.
Posted 2 years ago
ostermann says:
Same Problem on p30 pro emui11and Android tablet x neo Android 9
Posted 2 years ago
ostermann says:
In air plane mode IT doesn't crash
Posted 2 years ago
tjmurphy66 says:
Had same problem, uninstalled and reinstalled and was working for a couple of days. Smart widget was set to a specific list which now just says "Loading" and clicking on it crashes the app. Does work when opening the app from the application drawer. I've removed the widget and re-added it and it's working again for now. On a OnePlus 6T running Android 11 which has not had a recent security update.
Posted 2 years ago
sputnam123 says:
Started working again for me yesterday, but stopped again after a couple of hours. Clearing the data seems to have sorted it.
Posted 2 years ago
badpoly says:
До сих пор не работает.
Posted 2 years ago
davehenning says:
Adding one more for 'clearing data seems to have fixed it'. Hopefully it sticks.

I had to re-add my widget, which may have been the 'old' style widget. I used the 'new' one this time. Just putting some more info out into the ether.
Posted 2 years ago
cletocq says:
Clearing the data worked, also had to remove and reinstall the widget.

BTW the system status link on the home screen here lists no problems...
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
Mine was crashing this morning, but it was fixed after a reinstall of the app and then replacing the label widget. I imagine clearing the data would have accomplished the same thing without the reinstall, but I didn't think to do that at the time.
Posted 2 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi everyone,
So sorry about this crash this week in the latest update. Stay tuned for an update to the app fixing this.

In the meantime, reinstalling the app or disabling your Daily Digest may help, but we understand that is not helping for everyone.

If you have any further problems, please contact us and we'll be happy to help track down anything more specific!
Posted 2 years ago
theancient says:
Clearing the app data worked for me. (Clearing data cache wasn't enough)
Posted 2 years ago
mkueb says:
Clearing app data and cache also solved the issue on my device. Galaxy S8 with Android 9. Thanks!
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yep, same issue. Clearing app data and cache worked for me too (Pixel 6 Pro, Android 12)
Posted 2 years ago
Hi everyone,
We released an update that should fix this issue. Updating to 4.5.14 should work again. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

If that doesn't help, it may be necessary to remove app data and cache, or removing and reinstalling the app may help work around this issue too.

We understand how important the app can be for many of you, and apologize when it's not working like this week.

If you have any further issues please reach out! 💙
Posted 2 years ago
dukevogt says:
I'm not seeing an update in the Google Play Store. Please advise.
Posted 2 years ago
jan.sosniecki says:
Still this morning too.
Posted 2 years ago
jan.sosniecki says:
I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and it works again. Thanks!
Posted 2 years ago
lleleux says:
Update to 4.5.14 do not fix it for me...
Posted 2 years ago
philgilb says:
RTM failed to load on my Samsung phone and tablet, both before and after the 4.5.14 update. Followed the advice above and cleared the data and cache. All working fine again now. Did not need to re-install the app.
Posted 2 years ago
vannylu says:
I've had the same issue. Ignored the pop up warnings for a few days then 2 days ago couldn't open the app at all. Didn't know how to clear storage data so uninstalled and reinstalled. All seems to work fine now.
Posted 2 years ago
geowerkis says:
Having worked without issues for years on two smartphones (Nokia 8.1 and LG velvet) I suffer now from crashes 95% I try to open RTM. Just in flightmode I can make updates on my todos. Meanwhile I have done so many updates locally that I hesitate to delete everything locally. But I am afraid I have to latest on Monday. Hope dies at last.
According to my notes I have subscribed already in 2009. But this issue now for more than a week makes me really thinking if I can risk it to continue using RTM as daily driver.
Posted 2 years ago
adit47 says:
Experiencing the same issue on BOTH a Samsung and a Hwawei Pro 30. The desktop version of RTM works fine but I need it on my Android devices like everyone else who has written in. PLEASE FIX IT ASAP.
Posted 2 years ago
bluelake says:
Same issue here - on Google Pixel Pro - RTM Version 4.5.14 and Android 12 latest version and patch.
Posted 2 years ago
mzav says:
Experiencing the same issues as others on my Huawei. After uninstalling, I'm now unable to reinstall from the Play Store, the download gets to 99% and then fails. Anyone else experiencing this also. or have any suggestions?
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
The newest version works fine for me.
I'm on a Moto Z3.
Posted 2 years ago
tjmurphy66 says:
I'm on 4.5.14 and this morning it stopped working again. Clearing data and cache has resolved the issue (for now I guess as I said that before).
Posted 2 years ago
Hi tjmurphy66,
Sorry this has come back, and sorry to the rest of you dealing with this issue.

We're looking into the cause of this crash and why the 4.5.14 update didn't resolve it. If you have any details to share with the team, please contact us so we can track this down. Thanks again! 💙
Posted 2 years ago
jelchison says:
Same as many here, this issue is occurring again starting this morning. Google Pixel 6 Pro, Android 12 latest version and patch, RTM app v4.5.14.
Any official workarounds?
Thanks!
Posted 2 years ago
davehenning says:
Same here. Back to crashing today. On 4.5.14.

Another data wipe fixed it again, but obviously not ideal. I had missed reminders all day without realizing.

Posted 2 years ago
cjug says:
Same again here - crashing this morning and a data wipe has made it work again.
Posted 2 years ago
xavier.destree says:
Same here. On Fri 25 Mar, I removed RTM and re-installed it. Worked till today.
Posted 2 years ago
xavier.destree says:
More info. Crashes as soon as data or WiFi is connected. Seems more or less stable when no data link
Posted 2 years ago
mfmcdonagh says:
same issue, i removed the app last week to fix the problem, but its happening again today.
Posted 2 years ago
On behalf of the whole team, we're sorry again for the inconvenience! We are still investigating the cause for this crash, but in the meantime if the app starts crashing it's necessary to clear storage (not just cache) or to reinstall the app via Google Play.

If those don't help or if you have any other concerns you can contact us and we're more than happy to reply by email with any more details, collect any screenshots or crash logs you can get, etc.

Thanks again! 💙
Posted 2 years ago
manaevr says:
RTM refuses to open on Android😔 I can't work🤷
Posted 2 years ago
marco.spicher says:
Clearing the storage works for a few hours, then the app crashes again. The widget is updated correctly when a new day starts. However, the tasks are no longer synchronized.
The app can be started in flight mode. However, if flight mode is then deactivated when the app is open, the app is closed immediately.
Posted 2 years ago
bill.blinn says:
It works for a few days, then crashes until I uninstall it and reinstall it.

When is this going to be fixed? Reinstalling every couple of days is NOT an acceptable solution.
Posted 2 years ago
mokona says:
Same here for a few times now. As soon as the app as internet connection, it crashes. I can use it by going to Plane mode, open the app, the closing it and getting data again (anyway, as soon as the connection is back, the app crashes).
Posted 2 years ago
darren.johnston says:
Experiencing the same issue over the last day or two (I'm on the beta program). Using Android 12 on Samsung S10. Crashes constantly even after force stops and clearing cache.
Posted 2 years ago
kfonrtm says:
Same. How many days do I have to wait for the fix? I'm beginning to think to migrate to another application even though I payed annual fee just a week ago.

Posted 2 years ago
goraleksi says:
Fixed.
Posted 2 years ago
kfonrtm says:
Not fixed yet on my phone.
Posted 2 years ago
jan.kerdel.net says:
RTM is making a mess out of it. For the second time in two weeks RTM keeps crashing.
Information from RTM-organization is absolutely insufficient.
Come on boys and girls, you could do much better.
Posted 2 years ago
marco.spicher says:
For me it works now since 3 days without crashing and without clearing storage again
Posted 2 years ago
mokona says:
After clearing storage and updating, it works... for now.
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
RTM broke again for me today. Version 4.5.18.

Happened right after turning on mobile hotspot, maybe a way to reproduce the problem?

Stacktrace, as submitted to google/RTM (manually copied):
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: abstract method "r3.fr3.f.b(int)"
at r3.e.h(SourceFile:15)
at r3.e.b(SourceFile:12)
at com.google.firebase.installations.f.e(SourceFile:6)
at com.google.firebase.installactions.f.a(SourceFile: 10)
at o3.a.run(Unknown Source:18)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExeecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:919)

Clearing all data makes it work again. But now all my widgets are black squares with a blue bar, not showing any of the tasks.

RTM is now broken for 2 weeks on Android. Anyone know what caused this to happen?
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
By the way, I Google prompts me to upload crash logs. Do these reach the RTM developers, or should we send them through some other channel? (I create screenshots of them, since I don't know any other way to access them.)
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
Anyone an idea what to do to prevent this problem from occurring?

It seems to be related to network connectivity. However, having network completely off, would prevent RTM from synchronizing. Maybe the problem would not happen if we never switch network?

I'm going to disable wifi for a while and only use my mobile connection, see whether that helps.
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
Would power saving settings be relevant? I'm usually running on "Medium power saving", maybe that causes problems somehow?
Posted 2 years ago
bhenshaw says:
On my Android phone and tablet I keep getting notifications that RTM is closing. Now I can't even open the app. Version4.5.18. This just started in the last couple of weeks.
Posted 2 years ago
bhenshaw says:
I just saw in another post about clearing data. I cleared the cache and the data and now it is working fine (at least for now).
Posted 2 years ago
Hi blackshift,
Thanks for all those details! The crash logs do reach us and are very helpful.

We have had a hard time reproducing this, so those details about when it crashed are especially helpful.

Also, generally power savings settings should be off so the app works as best as possible: syncing in the background, widgets, reminders, etc. The app is optimized for background use and shouldn't use much battery.

For now, please let us know any details you can think of and we will continue investigating, and please clear data or reinstall the app if it crashes so you can continue to use it while we investigate.

And contact us any time you want help via email!
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
About the power saving, the "Medium power saving" is a samsung thing I think. "To extend your battery life, we'll block apps from using data or your location in the background." as well as limiting resolution and CPU etc.

I have "Medium power saving" on for months (years?), since otherwise my battery drains too much. So it cannot be the direct cause of these crashes. But maybe it is a compound effect.

I've now put RTM in the "Apps that won't be put to sleep" list. I don't expect RTM to end up there in the first place though, because that is for apps "when they haven't been used for a while", and I used RTM all the time.

I've also put RTM in the "Apps not optimized" for battery usage list. RTM was allowed background activity anyway, so I'm not sure what else this list allows.
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
FWIW, I have denied RTM Location and Storage permissions. Don't know whether that could be relevant. All notifications are allowed.
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
Has anyone tried to install an older version of RTM?

E.g. 4.5.12, the last (and only?) version from 2021. It seems that the problems started with 4.5.13 from this February, so maybe we can just downgrade.

The next time RTM crashes I'll try 4.5.12 and see whether that solves it.
Posted 2 years ago
kfonrtm says:
I uninstalled RTM yesterday and waited for the fix. But after I reinstalled RTM today with version 4.5.20, it's working without any change regarding power saving and without clearing data.
Using android 9 with Sony Xperia.
Posted 2 years ago
mark.hensbergen says:
removing the app and then reinstalling it resolves the problem
Posted 2 years ago
blackshift says:
4.5.20, "take 5", seems to have done it. No more crashes for quite a while now. Thanks RTM team, for keeping our lives organized!
Posted 2 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.