Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Google drive crashes the Android app

rschuhart says:
When I attempt to connect my google drive to the app, it crashes every time.

I am running Android 11 on a pixel 3a. I am able to add and interact with google drive through the web, and google drive is connected through my account settings on the web interface.

When I attempt to add an attachment from the app, it says I need to reconnect google drive. I attempt to do that through the app's prompts. I get to "Remember the Milk doesn't have permission to access Google Drive" and when I tap "Reconnect to Google Drive" the app crashes or it loops the setup process again until it eventually crashes.

I have removed RTM's permissions from google drive and attempted reconnected it, but the app still won't work.
Posted at 1:25am on May 17, 2021
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi rschuhart,
Sorry to hear about that!

Are you able to contact us so we can help track this down? I'm thinking we may want to get a screenshot of the screen leading up to the crash and also find out if you've sent crash reports through Android's reporter.

Thanks again for bringing this up!
Posted 2 years ago
amaio21 says:
Same issue on pixel 5. Happens every time. I'll upload crash reports. My guess is that since it's already connected, trying to connect again makes phone go boom
Posted 2 years ago
Hi amaio21,
Yes, sending those crash reports would be great, thank you!

If you disconnect through the web and reconnect through the Android app, we'd be eager to know if that works at all.

Keep me posted on what you find and we'll continue investigating this!
Posted 2 years ago
(Sorry, rschuhart, I think you mentioned by email that reconnecting through the web/desktop or the Android app doesn't work. Just catching up on my own notes!)

If you haven't tried that though, amaio21, that may be worth trying just in case it helps reset whatever is happening.
Posted 2 years ago
Okay, thanks to both of you for the crash reports! Those were very useful.

We were able to track this down to an issue with AppAuth (linked if you want more details, but I'll summarize the takeaways below).

This is the library we use for authentication and what happens is that for some reason it can't find a web browser to proceed with, which ends up crashing the app. There are a few things that can cause this which I'll list below:

* If you don't have a browser installed on your device, you would need to install one.

* If you user Opera or Photon or another third-party browser, these may be causing an issue. You may want to try switching to Chrome or Firefox temporarily to see if that makes a difference.

* You may also need to uninstall Opera or Photon to reset any Android settings that are affecting this.

Keep us posted on what you find and we'll see which things we need to fix up in the app, but we're going to start with a more specific error that catches that crash and informs you about what's happening.
Posted 2 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.