Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Not receiving notifications in desktop RTM

aterry51 says:
Some weeks ago, I realized I was no longer receiving any notifications. I don't have a lot of notifications--I use them for long-term items I'd otherwise forget. I use the standard desktop version only, Win10. I use garden variety POP and Thunderbird (not that anything is getting as far as Thunderbird), not GMail or any of that. I set up some test tasks and then checked my spam folder and the graymail folder at my ISP. I switched to a different email account. I am not using a smartphone app, so I don't think there is anything to reinstall. Any ideas on what the problem might be, and what I can try next?
Posted at 11:36pm on February 17, 2020
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi aterry51,
Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear that!

Have you tried any other IM, SMS, desktop, or email reminders to confirm whether they're working at all for you? It sounds like email and desktop both aren't working?

If that's right, you may wish to review your Daily Digest and Reminders settings to make sure they're set up the way you want.

Keep me posted on what you find!
Posted 4 years ago
aterry51 says:
I only use RTM by going to the website using FIrefox from my laptop, and expect it to send me reminder emails.

People sending me regular email works fine. If RTM just sends me a standard email, I don't see how other modes of notifications relate. Windows pops up its notifications and so does Dell's periodic driver check. Winzip recently popped up one of its annoying notifications.

I checked my settings as you suggested. Looks like default settings. The second one is for tasks with a specific time, email 2hr before. So at 8:50 I set a task for 11:15. Checked back at 10. No email, nothing in spam, nothing at ISP graymail.

Is there any non-onerous way to check if RTM even sent the reminder? We could agree on a specific time and task text to make it easier

If not, the only thing I can think of on my end is to save all my tasks, kill the account, create a new one from scratch using a different ID, and hope that works
Posted 4 years ago
Hi aterry51,
Sorry that didn't help. That does sound like you checked everything!

Is it possible your web account is set to the older app? We've gotten a few reports about reminders that we're looking into, but only with the older web app.

You can check and switch on our switcher page.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted on what you find.
Posted 4 years ago
aterry51 says:
I switched, as you suggested. I now get reminders where I set a date and time, but I don't think I get them when I set a date alone. Both types of tasks go red on the UI.

Interesting: I had changed my email from my standard email to a secondary one with a different domain, to test if it was a problem with my email. Didn't help so I switched UIs. When I create tasks with date/time, they get sent to my standard email. Looking at my account, it did switch over my secondary address (which isn't getting reminders). DIdn't see any Send Verification Code button, but maybe that is because you have seen my standard address before.

I switched everything back to my standard address and will set up a task for "tomorrow" and another for 2/24, see what happens.

Suggestion BTW: the input for entering the task date is a bit small if you want to enter date and time. Could you make it a tad larger? (units: an Imperial tad is 8 smidgens. Pixels hadn't been invented yet, so the mapping is at your discretion.)
Posted 4 years ago
Hi aterry51,
It sounds like you were experiencing problems with the older app after all, sorry about that!

Keep me posted on what you find with your reminders today and we'll see what else we can help with.

And I'll pass on the suggestion about the date/time, thanks!
Posted 4 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.