Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Items seemingly randomly do not show up in SmartList

jeninbrooklyn says:
I have a strange situation where once in a while I notice that a task that should be showing up in a SmartList, is not showing up.
- Sometimes it will show up on the iPhone app, but not on the web app, but I don't think this is consistent.
- Sometimes the task is from a shared list, but I'm not sure this is consistent either

The SmartList appears to be working fine otherwise, but of course this doesn't let me trust that I am catching everything :-) The SmartList is called Hotlist and is meant to catch everything that I 'might' be able to do today if I so choose:

dueBefore:Tomorrow OR start:never OR startBefore:tomorrow AND NOT(name:PROJECT OR name:TEMPLATE)

An example of something that is currently not showing up on my web version but IS showing up on the iPhone app is a task from a shared list Groceries called "Popchips". Meanwhile right now there is a task with the exact same properties (in fact, I created Popchips from that other task by duplicating it and renaming it) that is showing up as expected.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's maddening!
Posted at 12:34pm on August 21, 2019
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jeninbrooklyn,
Sorry to hear about that!

Any inconsistencies between the apps are things we want to look into, because we'd want to make sure searches and Smart Lists behave consistently.

One thing to try to narrow this down is to add some parentheses.

Here's an example, based on what I think you want to search for here, but you may need to adjust this based on how you want the search operators to interact:

(dueBefore:Tomorrow OR start:never OR startBefore:tomorrow) AND NOT (name:PROJECT OR name:TEMPLATE)

(I also added a space between NOT and the parenthesis but I don't think that would make a difference.)

If that doesn't help, we may want to look more specifically at each part of that Smart List. You can create extra Smart Lists for each half of your Smart List (again, just an example):

First Smart List:
dueBefore:Tomorrow OR start:never OR startBefore:tomorrow

Second Smart List:
name:PROJECT OR name:TEMPLATE

Hope these help to narrow this down. Keep me posted on what you find, or feel free to contact us if you want to send any more details just to the Remember The Milk team.
Posted 4 years ago
jeninbrooklyn says:
Hi andrewski,

Thanks for the parens adjustment - I replaced the code on the smartlist I posted about and the immediate problem did go away.

I had also noticed that on a different smartlist where I was including a specific tag - items with that tag would 'seemingly randomly' not appear, even though others with that tag did appear. I did a similar parens adjustment on that code.

Will keep an eye on things and post if the problem seems to come back but hoping that the parens additions do the trick!
Posted 4 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jeninbrooklyn,
Thanks for the confirmation! I've passed this on to the development team for review.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 4 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.