Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Different default due dates per list?

beth.wodzinski says:
My usual workflow is to add a task with a default date of today; then I work from the Today list. Fast and easy, no fuss, hooray.

Now I am exploring sharing a grocery list with my husband, so I created a Grocery list and added some items to it. However, they also default to Today as the due date, and thus show up on my main Today list. Is there a way to make items added to the Grocery list not have a due date? I understand I can add individual tasks with ^never but I don't want to have to do that for every. single. grocery. item. I could also add all the groceries and then do a bulk update to not have a due date of Today. But what I'd really like is to set the Groceries list to never have a due date, but let tasks added to other lists continue to have the due date of today.
Posted at 4:14pm on June 10, 2019
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi beth.wodzinski,
Thanks for getting in touch.

It's not currently possible to do this automatically for your Grocery list, sorry.

What might be possible is to use a Smart List for this, one that searches for list:Grocery AND due:never which would add tasks both with the list and due date set as you want.

Those would be added to your Grocery list and thus automatically shared, but you would want to make sure your husband does the same, or you may miss any "dated" tasks he might add.

Other than that, yes, adding each task with ^never or updating your tasks to make them due never would be your best bets.

Hope this helps a bit!
Posted 4 years ago
azclaire says:
I would create a SmartList for myToday view instead.

due:today AND not list: groceries

Your existing process wouldn't change and groceries would get ignored.
Posted 4 years ago
beth.wodzinski says:
Thank you both! @azclaire's solution should be perfect.
Posted 4 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi azclaire,
Yes, great idea! That would fold into any other customizations one wants to make to a today view too, e.g. tasks that start today, filtering out or bringing in any sets of tasks based on priority, etc. Thanks for mentioning that!

beth.wodzinski, let us know if we can help customize anything else along the way.
Posted 4 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.