Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Monthly repeating tasks

treesg says:
I’ve set up some tasks which need to be completed at some point during the month so I’ve set start date to 1st May and end date to 31 May with a recurrence of every month. However, when I mark one as done, the next one is dated 1 July to 31 July - not 1 June to 30 June. Any idea why this is happening and how I can achieve what I’m after?
Posted at 7:24pm on May 9, 2019
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi treesg,
Thanks for getting in touch.

I've added this to our list to investigate. Sorry for the inconvenience there!

What should work in the meantime is to use the repeat every month on the last day which will adjust for each month.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Posted 4 years ago
martingchapman says:
This problem has been around for a while.
I think it is caused by the fact that there are only 30 days in June so the repeat every month tries to increment the Due date from 31/5 to 31/6 but this date does not exist so it makes it the 31/7 which does exist.
The "every month on the last day" repeat does work and will change the Due Date to 30/6.
However, watch the Start Date which is always before the Due Date by the number of days between the Due Date and Start Date, irrespective of the repeat interval.
So if you have a Start Date of 1/5 with Due Date of 31/5 and "every month on the last day" repeat then the Due Date will change to 30/6 (correctly the last day of June) but the Start Date will change to 31/5 (31 days before the Due Date) which is not what you want.
Posted 4 years ago
treesg says:
Thanks for the info. I will give this a go. Sounds like it'll do the job, moreorless.
Posted 4 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi martingchapman,
Thanks again for your feedback about this behavior. I've passed that example on to the development team. (I can't recall if we've discussed that before, but I'll make sure they know about it.)
Posted 4 years ago
martingchapman says:
@treesg
Rather than having the same task that repeats every month, you could create 12 tasks (using the "duplicate task" feature) that repeat every year.
Change each task to have the Start Date as the 1st of the month and the Due Date as the actual last day of each month, ie 28 for February, 30 for April, June, September and November, 31 for all the rest. The only problem is a Leap Year when you could either change February Due Date to 29 or just leave it as is.

@Andrew
Thanks, I have mentioned this before, be good to remind the developers about it.
Posted 4 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.