Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

BACKUP

ravitodo says:
I believe RTM has a major limitation, surprising for an otherwise good product.

RTM does not seem to offer any *easy* way or a way usable by a majority of users to backup your RTM tasks and view them somewhere outside of RTM.

Tasks without due dates present special problems.

I have found even tasks with due dates ("events") cannot be imported into Google Calendar or MSOutlook.

This whole subject in RTM seems to be a mess.

RTM claims in its Help sections that Ical (ics) backup files can be used by other calendar applications but I have not found any such calendar application.

One cannot even export tasks from one RTM calendar to another via ICal files.

Support offerred by RTM on this matter is very uneven and so far not satifactory. RTM is very very polite when they reply but I have not received any reply to 3 mails I have sent to their support people in the last 3 months. And I am using a paid PRO version of their product for which I am supposed to get proper support.

Backup is a fundamental requirement unless one is a casual user of RTM using it as a toy, which I am not. I have more than a 1000 entries in RTM over the years and am seriously concerned about viability of continuing to use RTM without back up.

They did come back to me once with a long essay which required me to invest my time in various things like
--iCAL converters
--viewing tasks with Mozilla Thunderbird along with an obscure add on called Lightening something.

All this is anti productivity

With sorrow for an otherwise great and unique product probably developed by classy developers but being let down by lack of essential features and unmotivated non customer focussed unreponsive marketing/ support people

Posted at 6:04am on November 7, 2018
martingchapman says:
RTM have recently added export in json format, if you go to your settings and click export you should see this option.
"This is an export copy of your Remember The Milk data. You can keep an archive for your records, or use the data in another service. Data is provided in JSON format."
It then goes on to say;
"iCalendar export is also available, but please note that this is more limited and cannot be imported back into Remember The Milk".
This suggests that the json format file can be imported back into RTM.
Also, if you want to view the data you can open a json file using Windows Notepad.
Posted 5 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
martingchapman, keen eyes! :)

In addition, ravitodo, we appreciate your feedback. My response to your previous emails was only meant to offer some workarounds and alternatives to the iCalendar file along the lines of what you had been requesting.

Regarding iCalendar, undated tasks are included in the Tasks address; as you noted, the Events address is meant for display on a calendar and only includes dated tasks.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
Thanks for replies Andrew and Martin.

On my Windows 10 desktop RTM, in settings>export, I do not see anything about JSON, just the download button which downloads the ics file.

What do I have to do?

It would be useful to me if I could access the feature. Also I wonder if all attributes including notes are also exported.
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
@ravitodo
I think you may have to be on the RTM Beta release channel to see the new json feature.
Go to Settings - General - scroll down to the bottom of the window - Release channel - change from "stable" to "beta"-press "save changes".
Looking into the saved json file in notepad, I can see all the attributes except notes.

@andrewski
can you confirm what attributes are included in the json file?
Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
Thankyou Martin. I'll try it out. However without Notes it would not be of adequate use to me. I have about 250 entries with notes in it. If I have to do major data investment of time, I might as well shift to GCalendar.

Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
Andrew,

1) We have exchanged several messages on backup and so far I am sorry to say there has been no solution, just VERY POLITE BEATING AROUND THE BUSH, which is plain to see.

You have also succeeded in wasting a lot of my time

2) Repeating for the nth time please give me the best step by step method of backing up ie exporting all my tasks in RTM preferably including undated ones also into somewhere external to RTM and such that I can view RTM tasks.

I have become hugely frustrated.
The following dont work (even for dated tasks) as far as my efforts go:

ICal to Google Calendar
ICal to Outlook
ICal to some other Calendar apps such as wunderlist, Todoist, etc.

The Thunderbird Lighting option you has mentioned is only for viewing which I dont know why you suggested because dated RTM tasks can be viewed on GCalendar, with the feed
Ical export to

Failing a final attempt from you, I would now request you to let me speak with someone else in RTM: either another team member, a developer or someone more senior than yourself.

3) Failing any of the above, after using RTM for years and having great admiration for the DESIGN of the product I will regrettably prepare for gradual migration out of RTM,
at high cost and time for me, all for lack of a simple backup method, without which RTM amounts to just a toy for casual users.

Ravi Mehta
Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
correction last sentence of third last para ends--with the feed from RTM
Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
Martin,

I just did an export from RTM Beta Channel and I can confirm that the JSON file, copied and pasted onto Word *does include notes*

Now whats left is to read this file on a calendar app other than RTM. *Which other calendar apps read JSON files ?*

And also load it and read it on another RTM account
Posted 5 years ago
ravitodo says:
I dont understand why it was you who had to tell me this and not Mr. Andrew with whom I have exchanged several mails ??? As I said before it is the design people at RTM who are good
Posted 5 years ago
Sorry about the timing! We just rolled out the backup this past week (and it is still only in beta) and had not announced it when we had been discussing this last month.

martingchapman, the JSON export includes all tasks as well as a few account settings too. (Those are at the top of the file if you are reviewing it in a text editor or similar.)

Using the beta channel of the web or desktop app we now offer two export formats that you are welcome to use. We offer a full account export through both of them of all tasks and notes—incomplete and completed, dated and undated, tasks and subtasks.

We are unable to offer specific support for other apps in terms of viewing your tasks. I have been helping you get a complete backup for your tasks, but how you view those is going to depend on the other apps. We're sorry we're unable to help with third-party apps.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
I exported as a JSON and imported into another RTM account (experimental). I have tallied the count of tasks but it appears prima facie that all tasks and notes should have have been imported.

However whats happening is very raw and rough at the moment (not good enough yet to be called a Beta in my opinion):
The problems I have noticed in 2 minutes are as follows:
--The lists on the left pane are mostly out of order and messed up.
---Some deleted lists are showing up
--The tag colours have all become green
--Other bugs wait to be discovered I am sure ;-)
--SO NOT USABLE PRESENT even as a Beta which generally means usable but not totally proven

You mention that you now offer 2 export formats that I am welcome to use. After all that I have told you about the uselessness of the Ical format you offer (cannot be read by RTM or Outlook or GCal or others) I dont know whats the point of talking about it again and welcoming me??? You must be joking.

I totally understand its not your job to explain how to view the back up on third party apps.

But Gcal and outlook are more or less industry standards and your Ical export is not readable by them so USELESS and TIMEWASTING and MISLEADING your clients by saying/ implying on your help pages that GCal and Outlook can be used with your Ical
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
correction second line: I have not tallied
Posted 5 years ago
We've been trying to help you with both a full and complete backup, which we've talked about, and also a way to view dated tasks in Google Calendar or Outlook.

Those two goals may be at odds with any undated tasks, so we're sorry if that's not been helpful.

The JSON export will probably be easier to "move around" to other apps, since it doesn't require being read by an iCalendar-supporting application or service, but it would likely be less readable by something you'd want to use like a calendar.

All in all, we're trying to help with everything that you're requesting, and are sorry if anything has not been helpful.
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
As I mentioned, even an Ical file containing only dated tasks is not readable by GCal nor Outlook. I accept your Sorry.
Posted 5 years ago
We're happy to help with that too! :) They should work in Google Calendar. I found the email you mentioned here and responded to you if you want help getting those working as well.
Posted 5 years ago
analytic10bak says:
Thank you. I'll try again.

My Ical file is more than 2 MB which would be 1 reason to make it untransferable to GCal.

I am next going to remove completed tasks to reduce size of the file to below 2 MB.

I have taken a backup on Json and restored it to my second RTM account.

I had to purchase another copy of RTM since in basic free RTM account one can see completed tasks only for the past 7 days.
Posted 5 years ago
analytic10bak says:
Martingchapman
I want to thank you again for your help so far.
Posted 5 years ago
analytic10bak says:
Undated tasks per se is not going to be a problem since one can date them far out into the future
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
@analytic
You'r welcome, glad to be of help.
Posted 5 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.