Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Controlling Selection Focus w/ Keyboard on Tasks w/ Subtasks

daniel.black says:
Hello!

I'm using the RTM app on macOS High Sierra. I really prefer to navigate with the keyboard, and RTM has made this increasingly productive over the years.

Tonight I noticed that in the macOS app and the web app in Chrome, selecting a task with "i" (or "x") when not in single-pane mode also opens the task. If that task has subtasks, the focus will switch to the opened task, and I can't figure out a way to keep the task selected but switch focus to the parent list.

For instance, if I want to execute some sort of action on more than one task and any one or more of them has one or more subtask, I can't hit "i" then "j" then "i" then "j", etc., to step my way through them. I have to use the mouse to select at least one in the parent list and then I can navigate the parent list by keyboard (at least until I come across the *next* task with subtasks).

I've tried a few things, including the arrow keys and Tab and Shift + Tab. None of them moves the focus back out to the parent list. Nothing does short of unselecting the task with subtasks.

I am a lapsed user trying to develop a practice so nothing is mission-critical, but I was curious if there's just something I'm missing.

Ta!
Posted at 3:39am on November 3, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi daniel.black,
Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry about your experience here!

Currently the only way would be to use the mouse to click back into the task list to move focus from the subtasks back to the tasks. Sorry about that, and thanks for your feedback about what you were trying there.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 5 years ago
daniel.black says:
That's totally fine. There's always going to be a limitation on just how much granular control can be afforded to the keyboard. And you definitely have to weigh that against the resources you have and how useful it will be to the whole user base. There are plenty of keyboard shortcuts already. This case is an edge case, for sure.

Thanks for confirming. That's helpful in itself.
Posted 5 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.