Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Availability on the new Gmail?

luca.palli says:
The Gmail add-on will be available also for the new Gmail user interface launched this week?

Thanks,
Luca
Posted at 3:37am on April 28, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Luca,
Our add-on is not compatible with the new Gmail. If you want to use the Remember The Milk sidebar, you may want to switch back to the older Gmail for now.

We're checking out the preview version too, and we're eager to see what Google makes available for developers, so we'll post any updates or changes on our blog.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 5 years ago
tkchuah says:
Any update on this yet ?
Posted 5 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi tkchuah,
We don't have an update on this currently but we will be sure to post about it when we do!
Posted 5 years ago
pedro.mora says:
Hi andrewski ,
and some news about this topic...

Thanks
PM
Posted 5 years ago
ruadog says:
Any update on this? I was switched to the new Gmail today and needed to switch back because I could not use RTM.
Posted 5 years ago
ornorm says:
Same for me. The new Gmail will come in two weeks for everybody so I'd like to know if RTM will still be usable for their users (maybe a new RTM extension for browsers?)
Thank you.
Posted 5 years ago
shurley says:
yup - Gmail just swapped me today as well. I really like your plugin for Gmail. I hope you can make it work with the new Gmail layout.
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 here
Posted 5 years ago
adam.mcfarland says:
+1 - I rely on this feature
Posted 5 years ago
moorepants says:
+1
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
When RTM is available as a fill marketplace app the new Gmail interface will be fantastic! +1 on this and on the full creation of app!
Posted 5 years ago
ruadog says:
Are we ever going to get an update on this?
I've been delaying switching to the new Gmail, but I assume they will eventually switch everyone whether they want it or not.
Posted 5 years ago
kajivar says:
Gmail is going to switch me over despite me not wanting to do so within a week. Is RTM going to work? I rely heavily on it, and it's the reason I have a Pro account.
Posted 5 years ago
timothydavie says:
+1 here, would love to see RTM as a new add-on in the new Gmail, thanks
Posted 5 years ago
tclancy says:
+1 here
Posted 5 years ago
kajivar says:
Now I've been forcibly switched over to the new Gmail, so RTM does not work, and sadly they seem rather ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about it. I will not be renewing my Pro account now. Anyone know of any alternatives that WILL work with Gmail?
Posted 5 years ago
ruadog says:
Like kajivar I was forcibly switched today and still silence from RTM about this problem.
Posted 5 years ago
gordon918 says:
Any updates on getting an RTM add-on working with the new Gmail?

I've finally been forcibly switched over and now am without any kind of RTM integration with Gmail. Gmail was my main interface to RTM so this really impacts my daily task management.

I'm also rather disappointed in how RTM has handled this situation. The compatibility issue with the new Gmail has been known for over 5 months but there's been no word at all on what's being done about it or of plans for a new app.
Posted 5 years ago
kajivar says:
I just disabled auto-renew and left this message as to why:

The Remember the Milk Gmail add-on no longer functions, and the responses I've gotten from you have been either crickets or a dismissive "Yeah, we know, we'll pass on your concerns." Therefore I see no reason to renew my Pro account. This could change if your support becomes better, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I've been a Pro user for years and have recommended your product to many other people, and right now I'm just disappointed.
Posted 5 years ago
moener says:
Would be good to know whether or when an update to work with new gmail (I just got forcibly switched over as well) is coming to the RTM gmail add-on, just so users can make appropriate plans. If no update is coming in the next few months, I might just rather bite the bullet and transition my task management to google tasks (which doesn't seem as good) or a different tool.
Posted 5 years ago
jmbe says:
The Gmail addon is my main interface to RTM too, and an essential part of my daily workflow.

I do not use the actual email integration though (linking tasks to mails and whatnot). Mail links can easily be copied to the url field so it is not a showstopper for me if this feature would be missing in a new version of the addon.

I simply want RTM to sit in a sidebar of the mail tab where I spend a lot of time every day anyway and from where a lot of tasks originate. I also find the Gmail addon interface faster and more convenient to use than the RTM site (except for bulk editing of course, but I use the Android app for that).

As a happy pro subscriber for more than 10 years, I am quite disappointed in the lack of news regarding this issue.
Posted 5 years ago
jintorcio says:
Forced to new GMail. Help me! I'm losing track of my life without RTM integration!! Give us a sign!!!
Posted 5 years ago
kajivar says:
I asked for an update on Twitter and got the generic "We do not have an update yet, but we'll be sure to share as soon as we do!" again.
Posted 5 years ago
mbartley says:
Ditto to everyone else. Canceled auto-renew. Guess I'll use the FREE Google Tasks instead. Bummer.
Posted 5 years ago
mickeypr says:
What I don't understand is why an RTM staff member cannot reply here and simply update us about it!!

Posted 5 years ago
ornorm says:
Is there any RTM team member reading this? Seems that you're loosing pro users just because none of you did react since 5 months... 😳
It would be respectful for the people who feed you just to give them a sign. By staying on "mute", you take the risk of making more and more angry users. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Love you Milk but you could give us a bit of attention as well.
Posted 5 years ago
moorepants says:
Another user here that would like support in Gmail. Been using this for years and now I'm not keeping up with tasks! +1 to having RTM work with the new gmail, we've been forced to use it by google.
Posted 5 years ago
tamar says:
They're reading. The issue is it's essentially the new Gmail is a new app altogether. I know they want to build it, it's just not that easy to do thanks to limitations imposed by Gmail.

I was in a hybrid state without RTM since June (my Gmail wasn't exactly in the new Gmail version but wasn't any longer in the old version either--seems a few Google searches showed that 2 other people had the same thing I did! only two!) and it actually really hurts not to be able to use RTM -- a lot. In fact, I find without my RTM integration, I fall behind on tasks. But I know they are aware. I know they're working on it. I have confidence that the more of us who have this issue, the more of a priority it will be for them.

As a pro member myself for over 10 years, I'm hanging around. This isn't an easy problem to solve, and as more and more of us find that RTM is not usable, the more likely a fix is on the horizon, especially since the migration will affect team RTM soon enough too ;) We just have to hold on for now. Trust me, I'm almost on month 5 without RTM and I miss it. But I have faith in these guys and I know they are listening.
Posted 5 years ago
mickeypr says:
Hi Tamar,

While I appreciate your post, I do not understand why a simple communication from RTM stuff has not been sent for many of the (paying) users that need this integration.

The last update from RTM member was from 6 months ago!

It is fine to say either "we are working on it and still don't have ETA" or "We have decided that we cannot support RTM integration to the new Gmail".

But at least keep us informed. That what most of us are simply asking for.

Mickey
Posted 5 years ago
ruadog says:
I completely agree with Mickey, it's hard to understand why no one from RTM could spend the 30 seconds it would take to post "Hey, this is a complex problem but we are working on it."

I have a bad feeling that the lack of communication really means that not a lot of people used the Gmail integration, supporting it was a real PITA, and they are using this opportunity to drop support for it.

I would disagree with tamar that more people encountering this problem makes a fix more likely. They already know that EVERY RTM and Gmail user is affected by this problem. I think the more time that goes by the more users will defect to another solution and the less likely a RTM solution becomes. If a fix was possible or likely, we would have already seen it, or been told it was on the way.
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
For ideas on how to easily add tasks from a chrome web page or gmail see this RTM tip;
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/22832/
Posted 5 years ago
veevandyke says:
Just sayin' here. I have been a pro member of RTM for many years. I disabled autorenew this year as well. For some unknown reason, my gmail is always on a "cutting edge" version and thus, my add-in rarely worked. The big part of this issue is that they are and have been using antiquated technology (greasemonkey) for their gmail add in for MANY years now.

As a developer, I totally understand how challenging it is to keep up with changes, HOWEVER, I also got a notice about google's changing platforms over a year ago and was able to adjust all the apps that I have built around Google and Maps accordingly.

The fact that RTM has completely ignored both the Google Calendar change AND the Gmail change is unconscionable. Especially considering that 20% of the global email client market belongs to Gmail and 25% of American users use gmail daily.

In that regard, for Gmail users (both corporate and personal) I highly recommend GQueues. I've been using it for just under a year now, and aside from a lack of a multi-edit feature, it's PHENOMENAL. (The multi-edit feature is in the works.) The calendar integration alone is worth the price of admission!!

Bye RTM. You've finally lost me.
Posted 5 years ago
gordon918 says:
veevandyke thanks for mentioning GQueues. It looks very comparable to RTM in terms features and pricing and it seems like it'll fit my workflow better than RTM in its current state.

Which is a shame because I like RTM and really would prefer to stay with the system I'm already comfortable with.
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
GQueues is very good, especially the Chrome/Gmail integration which should be the model for RTM to follow, if only they had the will to do it.
The main problem with GQueues, for me, is the lack of Start Dates, and unfortunately they do not have any interest in adding this feature.
Posted 5 years ago
ruadog says:
GQueues looks interesting but the best part of RTM for me was the fact that I could dock the panel in Gmail. I'm in Gmail all the time so being able to actually see my tasks when I'm in Gmail was great. If I have to go to a separate tab to see my tasks I might as well just open RTM in a separate tab (which is what I've been doing since being switched to the new Gmail).
Posted 5 years ago
veevandyke says:
@ruadog: Gqueues has just finished beta testing this feature and they have submitted it to Google for approval. Having tested it, this makes the app virtually perfect!!

@martingchapman: Agreed on the start dates. However, the utter lack of Google calendar and Gmail support for years now was the dealbreaker for me. I've developed a workaround for the lack of start dates. It's not perfect, but having something that works and works well and consistently in my universe is worth it.
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
@veevandyke: Would you be prepared to share your GQueues workaround for Start dates, I would be most interested.
Posted 5 years ago
andrew.gross says:
"I completely agree with Mickey, it's hard to understand why no one from RTM could spend the 30 seconds it would take to post "Hey, this is a complex problem but we are working on it.""

+1
Posted 5 years ago
ron.mackey says:
Yes, I too really miss the Gmail integration. I am suspending my auto renew and will look for something else if RMT can't get back in with gmail.
Posted 5 years ago
veevandyke says:
@martingchapman: Sorry! Just saw this (3 months later. Yikes.)

I put the start date in the due date field. Then I put the ACTUAL due date in parenthesis in the title of the task. That way, it shows up on my calendar when I should start on it, but I know what the due date is by looking at the task. And if they're the same, I put nothing in the task.
Posted 5 years ago
martingchapman says:
@veevandyke Thanks for the update, no problem we are all busy people (which is why we use a Task Management App)

I will have a play around with your method and see if it suites my workflow.

Thanks again.

Posted 5 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.