Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Time zone setting confusing (at least to me)

dave.liao says:
I just flew from a US/Eastern Time city to a Central Time one. (i.e. Only one hour difference.)

I have RTM installed on a Windows PC, and on an Android device. Before my flight, both OS-es were set to Eastern Time. RTM app (web) was set to Eastern.

What I did:
- Offline and mid-flight, I changed my Android phone's time zone to Central Time.

What I saw:
1. The RTM Android app showed duration-less tasks previously due as "Today" as "Yesterday".
2. The RTM Android app showed tasks due the next day ("Tomorrow") in my Today filter.

I found this confusing. I DID only get 4 hours of sleep though. ;)

Thoughts? Anything I can do to prevent this weirdness?
Posted at 10:22pm on March 1, 2018
tristo (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for getting in touch and hope you get a little more snoozing!

Yes, you'll need to ensure Remember The Milk is setup in your new timezone. Would it be possible to double check to make sure that your timezone setting in Remember The Milk matches your system timezone on any computers or devices where you use the apps? It's also important to check the location of the timezone to make sure that they match.

You can check your location and timezone in the web or desktop app in the Account Settings, in the Account section. This is the link you need:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/app/#settings/account

Once that matches your device(s) in your new location and timezone, you should be back to normal! :)

Let me know if I can help further or in any other way!
Posted 6 years ago
ghovnanian says:
I don't use 'times' for my tasks, just days. I'll say a task is due "Tuesday", but as I understand, that gets coded as "Tuesday at midnight" so when we move time zones that time shifts and often (if you're going west) kicks it into a previous day.

Is there any way to just have things due "Tuesday", and when it's "Tuesday" where I am, the task is due?
Posted 6 years ago
It's a fair question, and you've understood things correctly. The problem as you've hinted at is that we need to know where your Tuesday is so we know when it is.

Without getting too complicated, right now, the easiest way to make this happen is to make sure you're in sync.
Posted 6 years ago
ghovnanian says:
Thanks for the response! Right now, this is what I do. I use the web app and the iphone app. When I fly, I go into airplane mode on the phone, and then when I land in a new timezone I turn off airplane mode and open the app. Obviously, as we discussed, they're all fouled up.
To date, I've found the only way to make this work is to go back to the web app, go to my account, and manually change the time zone and then re-sync the iphone app. When I'm traveling and using my phone, the only way to do that seem to be to go in through Safari, switch to the desktop view, and try to make that magic happen on a tiny screen). Is there a way to access that "set my time zone" from the iphone app? Or something else I could be doing? Otherwise, my list becomes unusable until I can get my laptop onto a stable wireless signal, log into the web app, change my account, and sync it all up... which tends not to be practical when I'm traveling. (appreciating this is probably not a common problem, but I literally travel every few days and RTM is my lifeline)
Thanks for your help!
Posted 6 years ago
You can browse to the same settings on your mobile device. The web app isn't optimised for the smaller screen size, but you should be able to navigate to the setting and make the change!

The direct link will help: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/app/#settings/account :)
Posted 6 years ago
ghovnanian says:
Thanks for the direct link. A potential feature request to allow this change from the iPhone app. Thanks!
Posted 6 years ago
No problem, understood!
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.