Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Does RTM update it's iCalendar feed right away?

wkoszek says:
I subscribed to Tasks and Events calendar URLs from RTM "Private links" by pasting them to Google Calendar.

I create a "example event" with "Feb 23rd 4pm start date" and estimate of 1hr.

I don't see anything showing up in my Google Calendar. Isn't it supposed to show me the entry in Google Calendar of some sort? (I'd expect to see an "event" of 1hr starting 4pm)

Should this be visible right away, or do I need to wait for RTM to update this calendar?
Posted at 8:46pm on February 22, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi wkoszek,
Yes, Remember The Milk updates the iCalendar feeds right away. However, there's no way to manually update a subscribed calendar in Google Calendar; it may take up to 24 hours for a calendar to be updated there.

If you'd like to test in another app like Mozilla Thunderbird that would show if the calendar is updating.

Or you can contact us and we'd be happy to help you confirm on our side!
Posted 6 years ago
wkoszek says:
Hello, thanks for the reply. You're right - seems that for some reason Google Calendar is completely broken. Maybe it's because of the "new" Google Calendar.

RTM it works, but:
- it appears like a "start" date/time is ignored
- I can only make RTM make an entry through the calendar feed if I set "due" date/time.
- I appears like an "estimate" is ignored. The task is always 1hr long...

Proof:
In UI I have: "23 Feb 2018 at 7:15pm" and estimate 30min.

In vCalendar link I get:
DTSTART;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20180223T191500
DTEND;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20180223T201500

Perfect case it would like this:

if "estimate" unset then
estimate = 1hr
end
if "start_time" present
make event (start: start_time, end:start_time + estimate, "task title") else
end

Due date is weird. If someone needs something by 2pm Friday, 2pm is the deadline, and it's a point in time. So with 1hr estimate, I'd expect:
make event(start: due_date - estimate, due_date)

But I guess it's too late to fix it now in a backward compatible way.
Posted 6 years ago
Hi wkoszek,
This behavior with Google Calendar is not tied to their new version, if that helps at all. Sorry you're seeing it with your iCalendars though!

Regarding the estimate, unfortunately that (and the start date) won't map onto an event duration consistently. Your example of 1 hour makes sense, but when you have a longer estimate and/or a multi-day task from start to due, the events showing up that entire time may not be desired.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 6 years ago
wkoszek says:
So is there a way in RTM to add a 15-30min event into the calendar at all? Being able to do this would be awesome.
Posted 6 years ago
Not currently, but thanks for your feedback that that'd be preferable!
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.