Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Recurring tasks

(closed account) says:
Hello,

Am new to RTM and trying to figure out a few things.

I have a big task with 3 subtasks.

- I will work on subtask A on Monday and Tuesday
- I will work on subtask B on Wednesday and Thursday
- I will work on subtask C on Thursday and Friday.

How do I achieve this? Assigning a due date means the task appears in my Today view only on the last day. I want it to appear on both days.

TIA,
GT
Posted at 10:58am on February 6, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi tulpuleg,
Two things may help here:
1. You may want to have each subtask repeat for two days, for example: Subtask A is due Monday and repeats "every day for 2 times".
2. You could add a start date, and then use a Smart List to view the tasks when they start, for example: Subtask A starts Monday and is due Tuesday.

And then your Smart List would be something like the following that would be like the Today view but with tasks that start today also:

start:today OR startBefore:today OR due:today OR dueBefore:today

Hope this helps!
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hello, Thanks for your response!

Unfortunately, neither seems to work for me. I will continue experimenting, making tweaks to see if I can get it to work but for now it doesn't.

What I am looking to achieve is fairly simple: If I set a task/subtask to start tomorrow and end the day after, I want it to appear on both days in my Today/Tomorrow view. I see it appear in Today only on the due date but not on the start date. Or if a task is scheduled to start today and end on Friday, it will appear in my Today view only on Friday, not today or tomorrow.

Any tips to achieve this are most welcome!

TIA,
GT

Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi GT,
Currently the Today and Tomorrow views won't include tasks based on the start date, so the only way there would be to use a Smart List.

In the meantime, I'll pass your feedback on to the development team, and you can vote for this in our Ideas forum.

Let us know if we can ever help with anything else!
Posted 6 years ago
azclaire says:
I would create one task for Thursday and a different one for Friday.
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
I interpret your requirements that on any given day you want to see the following tasks;
Start past (and) Due today (or)
Start past (and) Due future (or)
Start today (and) Due today (or)
Start today (and) Due future

The following Smart List should show these tasks;

(startBefore:today OR start:today) AND (due:today OR dueAfter:today)

(note: copy and paste this list exactly as shown, the capitals and brackets are essential for it to work)
This Smart List will not show tasks that have a Start date in the future or have a Due date in the past, so it will not show tasks that have not yet started or are overdue.

Set up your tasks as follows;
Subtask A - startMonday-dueTuesday
Subtask B - startWednesday-dueThursday
Subtask C - startThursday-dueFriday

Subtask A will appear on Monday and Tuesday
Subtask B will appear on Wednesday and Thursday
Subtask C will appear on Thursday and Friday.

Hope this helps - Martin.

Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
I should have replied earlier but couldn't.

Thank you all for your inputs. This is what worked in the end: I created a task and entered the start date in the Due Date field and then set Repeat to Daily until [Date].

I think that's what Andrewski's first suggestion was if my interpretation is correct.
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.