Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Open task in its list

maciek.ziernicki says:
I use RTM almost exclusively within Smart Lists. Often, I want to make several changes to a task that appears within a Smart List. For example, I might want to change both its Start and Due dates.

The problem I have is that when I change one of those attributes, that task disappears from my Smart List (as it should), and I need to then search for the task to change the other attributes I want to change. Sometimes I am fast enough to click on the task link that appears in the yellow undo box at the top. If I'm not, I have to resort to search or other methods to get to the task.

Can I somehow open a task for viewing in its List, so that it doesn't disappear when I change its attributes? I can't find an option to do so. I could train myself to do that before editing the task, and I think it would be easier than trying to quickly click on the yellow box.
Posted at 11:05pm on January 24, 2018
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi maciek.ziernicki,
Thanks for getting in touch.

Currently the best way to access the task in its list would be to click on the yellow notification, but another way to get there would be to click on the list in the task details.

That may not bring up the task if it's deep in the list depending on how it's sorted, but it may be another way to get to it quickly.

Hope this helps!
Posted 6 years ago
maciek.ziernicki says:
Thank you for the reply. I did know about that method, but it's tough as I have hundreds of tasks. In the end, the yellow box or a search work, but both are less than ideal.

It would be helpful to have a way to simply prevent an open task from disappearing in a simple way. After all, in most any other UI, things that I'm editing don't disappear during editing... only after editing is done. I like the instant saving in RTM and wouldn't want a "Save" button though. Perhaps you could implement a delay before open tasks disappear because they no longer fit list criteria?
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
You could add a smart list called "Updated" with the parameter "updated:today", then when the task disappears click on this smart list and it will show all the tasks you have updated today.
You could make all the changes you want to as many task as you want and with one click on the "Updated" smart list find them all again, no matter where they have gone.
And of course this smart list will clear itself every midnight.

Hope this helps.
Posted 6 years ago
maciek.ziernicki says:
Another clever idea, thanks. I actually already have a Smart List that shows all my tasks, sorted by updated order, so that accomplishes nearly the same thing.

The issue is also that when I change lists or search for the updated task, I lose my spot in the original smart list. This makes for awkwardness when going through many tasks in a Smart List and making edits.

I actually am still requesting RTM make a change, and I believe I found a great way to implement this improvement....

Idea for RTM: have the task disappear from the Smart List's left side panel if an edit warrants it do so. However, retain the task details for further editing on the right side until the user clicks elsewhere on the interface. I think that's an ideal solution, and much more intuitive. You could even add a visual indicator if you like, in case someone gets confused why the task is "still showing up" in the list, such as special shading. The sole exception is task completion - I suggest that immediately remove the task from both the left and right side.

What do you think?

Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi maciek.ziernicki,
Thanks for your feedback! I've passed that on to the development team for review.
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.