Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Start/Due Dates

(closed account) says:
Evening all,

As a recent convert to RTM from Todoist, I've got a few issues/queries concerning the use of start and due dates.

In my little head, I see start dates as 'do' dates for a task and 'due' dates as the date which the task MUST be complete by.

However, this doesn't seem to be something that translates into RTM that well. Whilst it's great to see a piece of task management software utilise start dates, I can't really see their importance or place in the grand scheme here. For example, if I need to move or postpone the action of a task, I'd like to 'postpone' the start date and not the due date. After all, a due date is a due date surely? However, RTM sees that differently. As such, I'm interested to hear how people utilise start and due dates to manage their workflow.

In a similar vein, I see tasks that I've moved or postponed as growing in priority as time moves on - any tips for monitoring this? I've considered using tags like 'moved1', 'moved2' etc. as a way (as I did in Todoist) but would welcome any other thoughts?

Thanks in anticipation,
Rich
Posted at 8:04pm on December 6, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Rich! Thanks for getting in touch.

Thanks for your feedback about the postpone and the start dates. Currently postponing will only work with a due date, but I've passed that feedback on to the development team for review.

I'm not sure if you've looked at Smart Lists yet, or if this is a familiar feature from Todoist—they're basically saved searches—but you could look at

Also, reminders are a good way to leverage your start dates—you can receive reminders based on when a task starts.

Smart Lists and reminders are probably the two best features that use start dates right now.

Regarding the growing priority, that may be a good way to use Smart Lists as well, for example to find tasks due within the next week or to find tasks of a certain priority based on the due date (e.g. 'priority 1 tasks that start within the next week or are due in the next 2 weeks', etc.).

Let me know if any of that helps, if you have any other questions or feedback, etc.!
Posted 6 years ago
martingchapman says:
Rich,
I have posted on the RTM Tips & Tricks forum some ideas on how to use Start Dates, Due Dates and Priorities.

Here is the link to the page;
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/22340/

Martin
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.