Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Generate tasks after certain have been executed n times

lschyns says:
Hello,

I'm using more and more RTM to remember me about some mundane tasks. In some cases, a task must be done after some other tasks has been done several times. For instance, some things must be cleaned or maintained after they were use 4,5 or 10 times. For the moment, I keep this somewhere on paper, but of course, the paper gets lots and I don't remember how many times I used it.

So I thought, let's keep that in RTM. What would be great is that I "tick" each time I use the tool, and after a configurable number of time, RTM triggers a new task. Or simply, having a way to keep a counter in RTM would be great.

I searched the forum but couldn't find such option ... maybe a suggestion for future development?

If you have an idea how to do it with the current app, let me know.

BTW, congratulations to the team, RTM is really great and so simple to use !

Laurent
Posted at 1:38pm on August 15, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Laurent,
We don't currently support this type of task generation, so you may want to try another way to keep track of these. For example, you could keep track of these in notes or use subtasks to have your follow-up task ready to go as needed.

In the meantime, if you wanted to post this in our Ideas Forum, others could vote on it or comment on it as well. (I've passed this on to our development team all the same!)

Let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime!
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Laurent,

This is something that could be done pretty easily with the API.

Currently I have one script set up that keeps track of how many times a certain task is completed, then after the fourth time it tells me to take a longer break (Pomodoro method).

I'll see if I can write something up describing it for you in the near future.

- Rob
Posted 6 years ago
lschyns says:
Thank you both for your answers. Sorry for the long time. I was expecting to receive an e-mail when my post was answered, but either I didn't or it got spam-filtered. I'll check.

Andrewski, I'll post a topic in the "idea" section.

Rob, yes, your script would definitely interest me. I never considered using the APIs, but I have some development background, so I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Cheers!

Laurent
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hey Laurent,

Sorry for the delay. I'm hoping to push some updates to Github soon. The scripts I have there right now are quite old on not very clean. Will post here again.

Rob
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.