Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Feature Request: ability to assign task as sub task of a project

gordonrobb says:
I add things to inbox as I think of them. Then process them into RTM later. Sometimes they are new sub tasks to a project (task) I have. There is no simple way to assign this task as a sub task of a project. And no way to do it at all.

It would be good if we could label tasks as projects, and then assign new tasks in inbox, as subtasks of a project.

Hope that is clear.
Posted at 3:53am on February 27, 2017
tristo (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi gordonrobb,

Thanks for getting in touch. I think I have a solution for you.

Perhaps the best way to do this would be to drag and drag the task that you intend to be a subtask on top of the intended parent task. That associates the task to be a subtask.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on!

Cheers.
Posted 7 years ago
gordonrobb says:
That is exactly what I do, as long as task and proposed parent task are in the same view. I mean if i have a few new tasks in my inbox, that need to be assigned to a project, there is no easy way to do it. I have tofirst drag it to a list that the parent task is in, then go to that list, and then drag it and drop it as you suggested.

Also, there is no way to do this in the mobile app.

All it needs is for 'project' to be a type of task.
Posted 7 years ago
Thanks for coming back to me.

You're certainly able to set up different views to achieve this, either through searches or via Smart Lists, or by first assigned the new task to the project list and then sorting from there. Drag & drop is also possible on the mobile app, absolutely.
Posted 7 years ago
gordonrobb says:
2 things abut that.

Firstly, I work in a normal GTD method. I create new tasks as they come to me, and they go into Inbox, and then process them as part of my next daily review. Problem is then that I first need to move them into the same list as the parent task/project if I want the new task to be a sub task.

Secondly, if there is a way to drag and drop into a task on the iphone, I'd like to know it. I can press edit and drag and drop to sort, but not to drop into a task.
Posted 7 years ago
Ok!

1. Understood - yep, it's one more step it looks like for that setup.

2. Yes, you can certainly drag & drop on the apps on iOS devices (and on Android).

Step 1: You must have the sort order for the list (regular or smart) be set to Drag and Drop. In order to change this, click on the the dropdown arrow next to the list name in iOS at the top and choose Edit List or Edit 'xyz'. Select Drag and Drop for your Sort Order, and hit Save.

Step 2: Go back and choose Edit (top right). You should see the three equal sized ribbons on the right, which you can use to move the tasks.

Step 3: Voila! Enjoy!

Let me know how you went following these steps, and if you need any further additional help at any time, just reach out!
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.