Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Creating RTM task from gmail using * or tag no longer working.

cavanaughmm says:
Yesterday, I was able to create a task in RTM by simply starring a gmail email, or by adding the designated tag to an email.

Today, nothing happens when I star or tag an email. My gmail settings are the same as yesterday (settings > tasks still tell gmail to create an RTM Task from a starred or appropriately -tagged email).

Not sure if this is a web app or an add-on problem, so I'll post to both.
Posted at 9:58pm on February 16, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi cavanaughmm,
It sounds like you may have a new Gmail version, so you may want to check our status page to see how to check your version.

I'll follow up with you by email too, but this could make the "Create task" menu entry not appear as well, so that could affect that.

Keep us posted on the version and we'll see what we need to do!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
@andrewski
This problem has been around for years and years and is the most annoying failure of RTM.
Is it not time to develop a proper Chrome extension for creating tasks from gmails?
If you need inspiration look at the way GQueues does it (https://www.gqueues.com/help/gmailExtension) which IMHO is far and away the best implementation of this feature.
(I used to favour GQueues as my task manager until RTM implemented Start Dates and now find RTM the best, apart from the gmail integration).
Posted 7 years ago
cavanaughmm says:
I agree. It is close to being a deal-breaker for me.

I tried out Gqueues too (and if it allowed bulk-editing, would probably have chosen it) and its Chrome extension works flawlessly. Other Chrome extensions that I have used off and on for years and which work flawlessly regardless of gmail version (even Chrome updates don't seem to affect them) include Wunderlist, Evernote, & Todoist.

Obviously I know nothing about programming, but the problem appears to be a function of having the add-on operate within gmail rather than within Chrome.

It would be great to have both options (a gmail extension that lets me tag emails to become tasks AND a chrome extension that lets me click a button and create a task that puts the body & url of the selected email into a new task).

If I had to choose between one or the other, though, I'd choose a chrome extension that works consistently and flawlessly over a fancier gmail extension that breaks every time gmail is updated.
Posted 7 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi martingchapman and cavanaughmm,
We appreciate the feedback from both of you about the Gmail extension and what you'd prefer in terms of its features and reliability. I've passed both of your thoughts on to our development team.

Let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
@andrewski
Thanks for the response.

In February 2016 (1 year ago) Google announced that there were more than 1Bn monthly active users of GMail!
(see https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/01/gmail-now-has-more-than-1b-monthly-active-users/).

Also there are Millions of Google Apps Business Users who are also potential RTM clients, but I would suggest, not without reliable GMail integration.

Surely having an effective, reliable Chrome GMail extension would make RTM far more attractive to this huge potential market and give RTM a great opportunity for expansion.

And @cavanaughmm makes a really valid point about also integrating "a chrome extension that lets me click a button and create a task that puts the body & url of the selected email into a new task".

Thanks for a great service, please make it even greater by integrating the above suggestions.
Posted 7 years ago
veevandyke says:
Amen guys. I finally gave up on RTM and switched over to gqueues, since the RTM gmail extension worked reliably less than two days a week, and I got really really tired of emailing them status versions. @andrewski - I have also emailed recommending how gqueues works. (I also love their Calendar integration, BTW.)

Overall, I truly like RTM better, but the lack of ability to consistently add a task from Gmail made me leave it. I keep checking back, though, in the hopes that they have decided to actually release a "real" gmail add in. I guess not yet.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.