Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Repeat tasks without Due Dates

hhollick says:
I have a number of tasks to repeat "after 1 day." These tasks have no due dates. When I check them off I want them to reappear tomorrow, without a due date.

However, when I create a task — with no due date — to complete after one day, and then mark it complete today it shows up the next day with a due date of that date? I want it created the next day, not due the next day.

Is it possible to create a tasks that repeats x number of days without completion but not have a due date?

Many thanks,
Heather
Posted at 1:48pm on December 14, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Heather,
Currently repeats only work based on the due date, so this wouldn't be possible, sorry.

Would you want this to work based on a start date? Or just the added date?
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hi Heather,

I had the same issue and found a solution, but it involves making use of the RTM API. (See details here - https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/api/)

I'm working on writing up some instructions for how to go about doing that for non-programmers (see thread here - https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/21524/#81265), but they aren't complete yet. Once they are, I'll let you know in this thread.
Posted 7 years ago
hhollick says:
For my current use-case, I think I just need it to work based on the added date.

Here's what I am doing. I have a list of about 20 tasks in a list called "Workout" that correspond to 20 different weight-training machines at the gym. When I get to the gym I open up the list and start my workout. I check off a machine and move on to the next one. Ideally, the repeated task would disappear and the repeated task would not be added until tomorrow. This would give a nice clean list with a diminishing number of 'tasks' as I progress through my workout. When I come back to the gym tomorrow my Workout list would be refreshed with all of the new (repeating) tasks.

Does that make sense?
Posted 7 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Heather,
Indeed that makes sense—and go you, by the way! :)

What you may want to try in the meantime is to change your view to a "Workout Today" Smart List, maybe something that shows the following:

list:Workout AND due:today

That would still diminish the view each time you're at the gym, and then you'd be ready to go next time as well.

Not to take away from your feedback though, which I've passed on to the development team. You may want to submit your idea in our Ideas Forum also, where others could vote on it too. :)
Posted 7 years ago
hhollick says:
Unfortunately, it appears as if you have conflated Start Date with Due Date. In my thinking, a repeating task repeats based on its Start Date, not its Due Date.

The Due Date is a different dimension of task management.
Posted 7 years ago
olaf1303 says:
hhollick: great best practise job and not complicated too hope you go by Andreskis remark to post that fitness-milk at ideas blog... I have a side-question on your workout-tasking: Sounds like you use these tasks to reevaluate your workout discipline, maybe weekly or monthly evaluation..is that right? If yes, could you describe how you do that?
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.