Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How to create a task from a GMail or Web site which includes the URL of the page

martingchapman says:
How do users create tasks from a GMail or Web site which includes the URL of the page?
For GMail I have tried the official RTM GMail extension but it requires me to change my GMail settings to US and it breaks on a regular basis when Google change their code, so for me it is useless.

What I would like to be able to do is easily create a task from either a GMail or Web site and for that task to contain the URL of the page in the task URL field.

Any suggestions much appreciated, as for me this facility is an essential for a task manager.
I love all the other features of RTM but without this it just wont work for me.
Posted at 9:24am on August 27, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi martingchapman,
I can’t speak for all users of course, but it should be possible to copy the URL from your Address bar in a message in Gmail, then when forwarding the message to your Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman: You could use this bookmarklet which uses the (old?) mobile site. You'll have to log in every once in a while (weeks?) but other than that, you will get the URL from the page you're on automatically. If you mark some text before using the bookmarklet, that will be used as the task name.

Script, just copy and paste as a new bookmarklet:
javascript:(function(){h='m.rememberthemilk.com';p='/add';if(window.getSelection){t=window.getSelection();}else if(document.getSelection){t=document.getSelection();}else if(document.selection){t=document.selection.createRange().text;};cp='https://'+h+p+'?name='+((null==t||t==""||t==undefined)?encodeURIComponent(document.title):t)+'&url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href);w=window.open(cp,'addwindow','status=no,toolbar=no,width=250,height=580,resizable=yes');setTimeout(function(){w.focus();},500);})();

Good luck!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
andrewski
For gmail if you copy and paste the page url into an email and forward it to RTM the url will be put in the notes field of the task, not the url field.
Also this is not a solution for a normal web page as there is nothing to paste the url into, you have to go into RTM and create/edit a task.

Raymond
Thanks for the javascript. This works reasonably well so I will use it.
However, it could do with some refinement;
1. make the popup window close automatically once you add the task.
2. pick up any tags from your RTM account so you can see and select them rather than having to remember what they are.
Did you write the script, would you be able to modify it as above?
I really appreciate your help with this.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi martingchapman,
If you’re putting the URL in the message, you’ll need to specify it with ‘URL:’ as pictured on our email page.

You’re right that that only works for email/Gmail, and wouldn’t work for your other scenario of another webpage—sorry I forgot to mention that part!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
andrewski,
If I send a new email to RTM with "url:http etc" as the first line of the email then the url is put into the url field of the task.
However,
When I forward an email and put "url:http etc" as the first line of the forwarded email then the url is put into the notes field of the task, after the text from the forwarded email.
There is no way to put the url of the page as the first line of a forwarded email so it will always end up in the notes section of the task.
Posted 7 years ago
In that case you may want to add the URL in the same way, and separate the properties from the message/note with -end- to make sure the properties are parsed correctly.

If you have any further problems though, it’d be great if you could contact us with an example so we could investigate.
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
andrewski,
Sorry that does not work either.
Do you have a GMail account?
Can you try forwarding an email to your RTM account with "url:page url" in the forwarded email and you should see the problem with the url being put in the notes not the task url field.
Posted 7 years ago
Sorry that still isn’t working for you! I just tested and this is working for me in Gmail, so we’d be especially keen to look at any examples where it’s not!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
Ok thanks for testing.
Will email support with some examples shortly.
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
martingchapman: The script was a collective effort here in the forum a few years ago (https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/3133/), I know too little javascript to make that change.
Glad it's of any use anyway, thanks!
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
Raymond,
Have discovered a Chrome extension called RTM Assistant which adds the javascript as an extension rather than a bookmark which is a neat solution.
Thanks again for the info on the script I am using it on a regular basis and it does the trick.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.