Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Google Hangouts - reminders not working

skrobul says:
I am trying to get the Google Hangouts reminders to work, but cannot receive the verification code successfully.
On the help pages I found that I need to add rtmremind@gmail.com to my contacts list, which I did and it's pending invitation acceptance.

What should be provided in "Add Google+ hangout address" field ? Is it username, google account email, google+ profile address or what? (I've tried all of the above btw...)

side note: I've been using RTM since 2006 so I'm not sure if I didn't add this reminder channel before

Posted at 5:01pm on June 23, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi skrobul,
Thanks for getting in touch and reporting this issue.

Google Hangouts reminders superseded our Google Talk reminders previously, so you may have used those before possibly?

The Google+ Hangouts address should be your account email (typically your Gmail or Google Apps address).

If you don't receive the verification code, you may want to resend it a few times, just to make sure. :)

Perhaps you already tried that too, so I’ve added this to our list to investigate.

Sorry for the inconvenience here!
Posted 7 years ago
brendaleah says:
Hi,
I am having the same issue. Remember the milk is not accepting my invitation therefore I am not receiving the verification code.
Posted 7 years ago
skrobul says:
It's actually worse than I initially thought. I was considering switch from the wunderlist but it turns out that the only notification system that works is email (hangouts are broken, SMS are broken, desktop notifications as well).
Posted 7 years ago
brendaleah says:
Desktop notifications and reminders through Skype actually do work. I really want it should work with hangouts too. Can someone help?
Posted 7 years ago
skrobul says:
I managed to get the Desktop notifications to "work" by installing RTM app from Chrome web store, which is weird because all other websites don't need special app to be installed. Anyway, I need the mobile or hangout notifications to work so this is just a poor workaround.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi skrobul,
Sorry you've had trouble getting reminders to work. I'll respond to your email message about SMS because we will want to discuss specifics to see why those aren't working.

Desktop notifications shouldn't require the Chrome Web Store app, but that does automatically approve some features and settings in Chrome, namely approving desktop notifications for Remember The Milk URLs. It's possible that was all that was necessary. You should still be able to use the web app, as the Chrome app is effectively a shortcut and a loader for the web app. :)

Hope this helps!
Posted 7 years ago
skrobul says:
Hi andrewski,

Thanks for your response. I was thinking the same, but it's actually not the case. Just for a test I have removed the Chrome App and created new task with due time. At the time I had SMS, Desktop and email notifications enabled. The only one which worked was the email. If you need to review the logs, the task ID was 504760400. Feel free to shoot me an email as well of course :)
Posted 7 years ago
Hi skrobul,
Removing the Chrome app would have removed those approved notifications settings, so it may have been necessary to add those back to make it work.

Depending on the sequence of steps, it may be necessary to remove the Desktop notifications in your Account Settings, and then add them back—adding them back should prompt Chrome to request approval for notifications again.

Let us know if you have any further issues!
Posted 7 years ago
tab_au says:
I'm also not receiving the verification code via Hangouts. Has this issue been resolved?

Thanks.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi tab_au,
I’ve added this to our list to investigate also. We don’t have an update at the moment, except that this has been elusive since it’s not affecting everyone.

We’ll post back here when we have an update!
Posted 7 years ago
tab_au says:
No worries, thanks for the reply.
Posted 7 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm facing the same issue. It looks like it's not resolved even after 8 weeks
Posted 7 years ago
Hi iamtks,
Thanks for letting us know. I’ve added your info to our list to investigate as well.
Posted 7 years ago
robotii says:
Just tried to set up Hangouts as a notification point, but I'm not receiving the verification code either.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi robotii,
I’ve added your info to our list to investigate too. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Posted 7 years ago
ricardo765 says:
Hi,

I have the same issue, didn´t receive the code. On Hangout I added rtmremind@gmail.com and it's pending invitation acceptance
Posted 7 years ago
Hi ricardo765,
Sorry to hear you’re seeing this also. I’ve added your info to our list to investigate too.
Posted 7 years ago
ricardo765 says:
Thanks! I'll wait for the reply.
Posted 7 years ago
trackzero says:
I'm having the same problem, Hangouts isn't receiving the activation code. Additionally, I'm on Google Fi, and it's not in your list for SMS notifications (I sent a separate support request with their email to SMS gateway info)
Posted 7 years ago
Hi trackzero,
I’ll add your info to the list to investigate with the Hangouts issue. I see your message about Google Fi and will respond to it directly. :)
Posted 7 years ago
varrus says:
I'm also having trouble adding my work email list (a Google Apps address). The activation code never comes.
Posted 7 years ago
imderyn says:
Tried to set up reminders on both Hangouts and Skype; the verification code never comes for either.
Posted 7 years ago
smccsally says:
can't receive message from google hangouts either
Posted 7 years ago
We're continuing to investigate this, so it's helpful to hear from you who are having problems.

Skype is likely a separate issue, which you may want to contact us about if it continues.
Posted 7 years ago
tdanylak says:
Same here, no verification code coming to Hangouts
Posted 7 years ago
troyeckhardt says:
I have the same trouble with Goole Hangouts reminders - no verification code comes.
Posted 6 years ago
duraid74 says:
not working for me too.. are you still investigating?
Posted 6 years ago
Yes, thanks for letting us know it's not working for you. We'll keep you posted on updates or changes on our end.
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
Skype works well but Hangouts won't send a verification code?
Posted 6 years ago
ticklethatfrog says:
Not receiving verification code
Posted 6 years ago
marshall.vaughn says:
I'd really like to get the hangouts working. I'm on hangouts all day, this was part of the reason I re-upped my pro account. Having the same issue as everyone else. Any news?
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.