Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Import a list via email

mrrentman says:
Why does a line in my list that says "Spend 20 min on the treadmill" end up in the inbox as a task that says "Spend on the treadmill".
Not that it would help, but I thought maybe the 20 minutes would end up in the time estimate field, but it wasn't there either.
I've tried spelling out the 20 as twenty and/or changing min to minutes but I still can't get the task to import.
Posted at 2:06pm on November 3, 2011
brendan says:
Hi mrrentman,
In this case, 20 minutes is being interpreted as the due date. "20 minutes" is a valid due date and the task will be due 20 minutes from now.

You can prevent Smart Add from parsing the task by enclosing it in double quotes. Try setting the subject line of the email to:
"Spend 20 min on the treadmill"

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
mrrentman says:
I can't put it into the subject as this is a list import. So the line is in the body of the email. But yes, putting quotes around that example fixed that problem.
But then I tried to make the task a little more detailed and it failed in another way.
I tried "Spend 20 minutes on the treadmill at resistance level 7. Drink a full glass of water." and it came out in the RTM inbox as two tasks.
"Spend 20 minutes on the treadmill at resistance level 7. Drink a full
AND
glass of water."
It put the quotes into the task and broke it in two. Why??
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi mrrentman,
This is most likely a result of your email client automatically wrapping a long line. This page mentions that 72 characters is a common setting, which is just right for your first task ending with "full".

You may want to check your email client settings to see if you can disable auto-wrapping or increase the number of characters allowed per line.

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
mrrentman says:
I'm just using gmail through a browser. There is no setting for wrapping that I know of and as far as I can tell, gmail doesn't wrap at 72 characters.
Am I missing something?
Posted 12 years ago
mrrentman says:
I did a test from an Outlook client and it works better in terms of not breaking things up. Since gmail is so common, someone must've resolved that by now. Does anyone know the answer?
Posted 12 years ago
mrrentman says:
I'm wrong, Outlook only worked because my test was a continuous string of 80 characters with no spaces. When I went back and tried a second test with a normal sentence of the same length, it got broken into two tasks when it hit RTM.
Posted 12 years ago
mrrentman says:
Everything I read says that you can't change this in gmail.
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi mrrentman,
To my knowledge, it's not currently possible to modify these wrap settings in Gmail, sorry.

This thread includes some discussion on the topic, including some instructions for increasing the number of characters per line in Outlook.
Posted 12 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.