Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

New iOS 5 Reminders built-in app & Remember the milk

lg.roques says:
Hi,

Apple has started to investigate the fabulous world of "do-list" and "reminders".

http://www.apple.com/iphone/built-in-apps/reminders.html

Nothing works better than Remember The Milk (RTM) for me.
BUT
Syncing RTM on the Calendar App is not really what we can call a sexy solution.

As Apple announced that iCloud would be "open" with its own API, can't RTM pushed our own lists to the Reminders built-in app in specific lists?

Thanks,
Posted at 1:42pm on October 13, 2011
(closed account) says:
I agree. I would like to stop syncing with Outlook and sync to iCloud. Apple's reminder app is not as full featured as RTM and the ability to use RTM and sync with iCloud would be great.
Posted 12 years ago
criminal109 says:
It would be great to integrate the reminders app and RTM. Siri makes it really convenient to add "reminders", but I don't want to maintain two systems.
Posted 12 years ago
mikael.hardy says:
Well RTM did it !
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2011/10/we-taught-siri-to-add-tasks-to-remember-the-milk/

I do not have the iPhone 4S yet, but on my 3GS the RTM reminder list shows up empty. Is it normal ? or a configuration issue ?

(I should point out that adding a task works and appears in RTM)
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi mikael.hardy,
When adding tasks with Siri, the new task will be pushed to your Remember the Milk account, but the reminder will not be added to the Remember the Milk list on your device.

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
beanj007 says:
Will location-aware reminders still work? (i.e. 'remind me to do X when i leave work' syncing to RTM... will i get any kind of popup on my iPhone?)
Posted 12 years ago
fnj says:
Brendan, first of all, congratulations on being the only To Do app to understand the obvious - that being able to add items by voice in the iPhone is brilliant!

I'm not sure what you're saying regarding reminders not appearing in the RTM app on my device. As far as I can tell, they are there. This is fine by me, seeing as how RTM is far more powerful for organizing items than the Reminders app.
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
beanj007,
Currently it's only possible to set due dates and times, as well as repeat intervals, for tasks. Locations can't be assigned to tasks via Siri yet.

fnj,
Sorry for the confusion. The tasks will appear within our Remember the Milk app. However, they will not appear on the "Remember the Milk" list within the Reminders app.
Posted 12 years ago
beanj007 says:
I can confirm that no, no location aware reminders. However, you can still use Siri to say: "Add reminders reminder to do X when i get home" and it will add it to the default reminders list on the phone, and not RTM. Also, you can rename the "Reminders" list at icloud.com clicking on the calendar to something like 'iCloud', and say 'add icloud reminder to X when i leave work' to avoid the confusing double wording. :P
Posted 12 years ago
tcoslow says:
Wish you could do this on iOS5 without Siri....
Posted 12 years ago
rcamner says:
Absolutely unbelievable! I was beginning to wonder if I would have to move to Reminders because I love the Siri interface, but didn't want to give up what I like so much about RTM.

But, I have one question (beef, but I think it's in Reminders not RTM). If I tell Siri "Remind me to take out the trash tomorrow" Siri creates a task set for 9 am the next day. Is there any way to avoid having the time set? I really don't like times on most of my todo items in RTM (yeah...it's just small beef!)

Posted 12 years ago
victorn says:
I don't have an iPhone 4S, but I thought it would be brilliant to sync the reminders app with remember the milk anyway – but it sucks that the task disappears from the iphone once it's synced (as brendan points out). Why does that happen?
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi rcamner,
If you specify a due date for your task (such as "tomorrow" in your example), Siri will assume the due time. However, if you don't provide a date, Siri will prompt you for a time. You can say "whenever" to set no due time.

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
jongoldman says:
brendan-

I see in the steps that I need to set the default calendar to RTM to have Siri set up tasks. Doesn't this have a negative effect on me using Siri to set appointments? Don't appointments now try to use RTM as the default calendar?
Posted 12 years ago
jongoldman says:
Ignore that last.. as I went through the process, I saw the new field pop up.
Posted 12 years ago
rcamner says:
Too bad that it's a two step process to get untimed item. But thanks.
Posted 12 years ago
ryptide says:
Is there any expectation that RTM tasks will eventually be able to appear and be managed in the Reminders app, or is that just right out at the moment?
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi ryptide,
We don't currently have any announcements concerning integration with Reminders. If this is something you'd like to see in the future, you may want to suggest it in our Ideas forum so other users can vote and share their thoughts.

Thanks for your feedback!
Posted 12 years ago
gonsalvr says:
Would like to see RTM notifications deleted in iPhone notifications after the task is marked as completed in the RTM iPhone app.
Posted 12 years ago
rcamner says:
Here's an oddity...

I have had RTM working with Siri for some time now.

Today I was making some adjustments to my mail & calendar setup on the iPhone and I changed the default calendar in Settings-->Mail,Contacts,Calendars to something OTHER than Remember the Milk.

Much to my surprise, setting a reminder with Siri still has the task showing up on my RTM list. How? According to the directions given here, one MUST set up RTM as the default calendar.

Can anyone explain this, or am I missing something obvious?
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi rcamner,
When you add a task to Siri using the "Remind me to..." phrasing, the reminder should be created in the default list you've specified.

Can you let us know how you're phrasing your Siri request?

Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
rcamner says:
After poking around a little, I realized I was confusing the default LIST with the default CALENDAR. I do, indeed, have the default LIST set to RTM.

Sorry for the false alarm.
Posted 12 years ago
jongoldman says:
Asked on another thread with no response: Are there any plans to parse the incoming CalDav tasks from Siri to read "#" for tags, etc.?

Also, I saw the response above about creating a task with no specified time or date, but what the question from the OP was (and what I want to know) is if you can create a task with a due date of tomorrow without a specific time attached to that.
Posted 12 years ago
wigoutlet says:
I can't get Siri to add to RTM. I set the default reminder to RTM. What do I need to tell Siri to make her comply. I have 5.01 ios
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi wigoutlet,
To add a task, tell Siri to remind you of the task on a certain date. In our video, the request is phrased as:

Remind me to pick up the milk tomorrow

This will create a task called "pick up the milk" due tomorrow.

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
ddysart says:
I've had Siri working with RTM for a while now. I haven't found it that useful for me, so I went into settings to change my default list back to the default, and the default list option is no there. I can only choose the sync period under reminders.

Anyone else see this? A bunch of Googling turned up empty, but this is relatively new territory.
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi ddysart,
If the Default List option is missing entirely, you may want to try restarting your device.

If this doesn't help, can you contact us so we can take a look with you?

Hope this helps!
Posted 12 years ago
rkitchen says:
I have the Iphone 4s. I like and use siri reminders regularly, but wanted a better todo list option. I thought that RTM would be a good solution but my reminders quit working. Most were location based. If I looked right after giving siri the reminder they were there but later would not be.They also were not on RTM. I guess i will stick with plain old siri until integration is better
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi rkitchen,
Sorry to hear the Siri integration isn't working for you. When the task is added to your "Remember The Milk" list via Siri, it will be pushed to your Remember The Milk account and won't be retained in the Reminders app. Currently, it's not possible to specify locations for these tasks added via Siri.

Thanks for your feedback on this.
Posted 12 years ago
zwise22 says:
Brendan, is it possible to leave the reminder in the caldav reminders list even after it has been pushed to RTM account? I'm not sure I understand why the sync process has to remove the task from the Reminders app...

I use RTM for all of my task management, but it would be great to take advantage of the Reminders app's geofencing too...
Posted 12 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
zwise22,
No, this isn't possible; sorry about that. The CalDAV subscription is one-way only, so the list remains empty once a task is added.
Posted 12 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.