Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

milksync with multiple outlook profiles

ricsto says:
Hi,
been using RTM for a while and love it but I'd love it even more if I could get milksync to sync from more than one outlook profile.

Here's my setup:
Single Logon into my Win7 desktop
I have multiple outlook profiles work, home etc. Currently my tasks within my Outlook work profile sync beautfully with RTM but at the end of the working day when I exit my work profile and load my home outlook profile I would like that to sync with RTM too. It doesn't

I've looked in the logs and I can that milksync sees all my profiles.

Is it possible to sync muliple profile?

Thanks
Rich
Posted at 7:33pm on December 3, 2010
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Rich,
MilkSync should work in multiple profiles. If it doesn't seem to work, you may want to close MilkSync after switching profiles and manually start it again.

Also, if the syncing doesn't seem to work, you may want to try restoring your tasks from RTM (as described in our FAQ).

Hope this helps!
Posted 13 years ago
ricsto says:
Thanks for the reply.
FYI. I've been playing around with this little glitch and a couple of observations based on your comments.

I've found that Closing and restarting MilkSync between profile switches is essential.

However, initially that didn't fix my problem. When switching profiles, tasks subsequent tasks added in Outlook just would not sync with RTM. I didn't want to follow the restoring task from RTM as I'd never put all the tasks from the problematic Outlook profile in RTM anyway.
Just as I test I added a task in the RTM web interface and that sync'd instantly with my problematic and currently open Outlook profile. Now here's the odd bit, from this point onwards any task now added directly in the problematic Outlook profile syncs perfectly with RTM.
I've since switched profiles quite a few times and as long as I exit the little MilkSync app in the system tray and then restart it both profiles seem to sync ok.

MilkSync for Outlook and Android works like a charm for my requirements:
Outlook<->RTM-<->Android

Cheers
Rich
Posted 13 years ago
Hi Rich,
Thanks for these details; I've added this to our list to investigate.

Glad that MilkSync is suiting you otherwise!
Posted 13 years ago
ricsto says:
I may well be expecting too much but having used this for a few days now I've spotted a gotcha that may be useful for somebody else or the developers

Here's an example:
1:Whilst on the road I logon to RTM or use the Android app and enter a task under my RTM "work" list to reminding me to call a customer in the morning.
2: I go home and check my personal emails using my "Home" outlook profile. The task I added at step 1, via MilkSync syncs with my "home" outlook profile
3: In the morning I go to my PC and open my "work" Outlook profile and milksync will sync, however the work profile never gets the task I added at step 1 above and I completely forget to call the customer as I have a head like a sieve.

I've played around with this and used the tools->restore option which will pick up the task at 1 that a normal milksync missed, however if I mark the task as complete in either RTM or Outlook both RTM and Outlook will sync correctly but when I return to the other Outlook profile the task will remain open even after a sync with RTM.

I know you are probably thinking jeez, what does this bloke want blood, but MilkSync is so damn close to being just right. I thought about moving away from two profiles and having two seperate windows logon but I'm guessing that the problem possibly would still be the same as there appears to be a 1-1 relationship between a RTM task and the Outlook account it was sync'd with.

I'm just about to go Pro so I certainly don't hate RTM but it so close to being perfect. in functionality.

It would be really cool for multiple outlook profiles/accounts to see a common view of tasks, it would be even cooler if on the MilkSync configuration end I could choose which lists/categories I sync between Outlook/RTM so I could sync tasks in my RTM "work" list with my only my "work" Outlook account and task from my "home" list with my "home" Outlook account.

All the best
Rich

Posted 13 years ago
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your continued feedback! As I mentioned before, I've added this to our list to investigate. I'll also be sure to add these details too.

Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.
Posted 13 years ago
yemi.oluwi says:
Hi

I thought I'd tack my comments on this thread as they are relate to usage of Outlook profiles, ableit in a different way.

I would like to be able to specify which profile for MilkSync to use. I have a similar setup in that I use MilkSync for work and home. At the moment, MilkSync syncs the same lists across all Outlook installations it is connected to. I wish to keep work and personal Outlooks separate, and use RMilk for a consolidated view.

On one machine I have profiles for home and work. If I use MilkSync on that machine then it will attempt to sync the lists across both work and home which stops me from using it.

I notice that the Google Apps Gmail sync appears to be attached to a specific profile - hope that helps.

Also keep up the good work - I like RTM!

Cheers

ps: Previous post here: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/milksync/12024/
Posted 13 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.