Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Trash, to recover accidentally deleted tasks

lttp says:
Could we have a trash can to recover accidentally deleted tasks please?

Also, could we have some kind of warning before tasks are deleted?

Could you make selecting and de-selecting tasks a bit more intuitive.

Thanks!

Jane
Posted at 1:00pm on November 25, 2009
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We introduced a "Trash" feature with the launch of the new Remember The Milk.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
fuzzyfeet says:
I agree - it is so easy to delete something really important and not know it - and that's scary for me. (bad memory) Thanks if you can do this.
Posted 14 years ago
followdream says:
I totally agree.

I lost accidentally the task, writing many notes ;)
This is very bad.

I start not to recommend RTM for memo/notes to my friends.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm suffering from this now...

I tryed reloading my tasks on Getting Things Gnome by removing all tasks with the plugin diabled, but the plugin kept the Task association and also removed most of my tasks and I can't get them back.

Hope there's some sort of backup that I can use to restore those tasks.

--
Bernardo
Posted 13 years ago
turkeyphant says:
Can we not have a deleted tasks list just like the completed list?
Posted 13 years ago
hybris says:
I've lost two tasks the last few weeks with notes that I'm pretty sure I didn't delete myself. It almost seems like there some kind of bug lurking around here. On both tasks my last action was to add a note and store it. The next time I went to my rememberthemilk site the task was gone.. :-/
Posted 13 years ago
action.manager says:
+1

Perhaps have a look at how lastpass.com does this?

(LastPass is another nice cloud service to obtain/maintain a "mind like water";)
Posted 13 years ago
rocku1981 says:
recycle bin is strongly recommanded!
Posted 13 years ago
boxinxu says:
Yes, recycle bin is what RTM needs! Tasks are sometimes deleted on Android by mistake as the screen left unlock.
Posted 13 years ago
bluesgeek says:
We should have a way to verify before delete. My OS has it and all of the professional apps I use either provide a verify dialog or a way to examine items about to be deleted. It is unacceptable to be working along only to discover (or not) that a task is missing because I didn't notice that it was checked and was accidentally deleted.

Why has this still not been addressed?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but protection against lost data must be a priority for any professional app. This is not a matter of functionality, but of responsible caretaking of user data. Anyone who has had this happen is aware of the precipice which must be navigated in order to ensure that the user doesn't inadvertently destroy data. To require the user to peruse a page of tasks to make sure that none are checked other than the one intended for deletion places an impractical burden on the user.

I make mistakes every day. The system should anticipate this and provide me with sufficient feedback to help me avoid data loss.
Posted 13 years ago
goldtrad says:
I just started using rtm today. Recycle bin is indeed a tool that would be helpful.
Posted 12 years ago
lipor says:
Any news on this??? C´mon guys this would be very helpful.... everyone makes mistakes and this could be a life saver...please :)
Posted 12 years ago
philippe.langlois says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
risk says:
I like turkeyphant's request. Deleted tasks go to a list that can be manually emptied or after x days.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1. I routinely have tasks selected that I do not intend, and I'm afraid to use the delete feature because it's so permanent.

(Being able to undo right away is nice, but it's not enough because first it doesn't list all the tasks delete if it's more than one, and second I might not realize my mistake until later.)

Reversibility is extremely important. Please implement this key feature.
Posted 12 years ago
colin_thames says:
I agree, I accidentally deleted a task from App for Milk because what I thought was a check box turned out to be a delete button. By the time I went to the web version it had disappeared there too.

We really MUST have either a list of deleted items or a confirmation dialogue box. Personally I'd prefer the trash can so I can reinstate a task.

Please, please fix this.
Posted 12 years ago
colin_thames says:
Thankfully the item hadn't been deleted, just marked as complete, so I was able to reinstate it. Thanks turkeyphant for pointing out that there was a list of Completed Items. I hadn't found it until now.

My request for a Deleted Items list still stands. If RTM are concerned about server space perhaps items could be purged after 60 days or so?
Posted 12 years ago
bookrackbooks says:
Yes, please help protect me from myself. A trash bin or any secondary step before gone forever. Thanks.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
A deleted tasks list just like the completed list would be ideal.
Posted 12 years ago
phantamarok says:
I agree with all of the comments here. I want to be able to see a list of all of the items I ever deleted, and purge them from there if I so desire.

Deleted != Completed, but I want to see an archive of both.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:

The lack of this is painful.

A *FREQUENT* problem I have is:

Edit the date for a set of tasks results in the tasks being checked. Editing the date to the future causes them to slip down below the screen so that they are no longer visible.

I then go to delete another task and forget to hit the "None" link first before selecting it. I check the one I want to delete and hit delete. Now I just batch deleted a whole bunch of tasks I didn't want to delete and the only cue is a slim little tech message at the top of the screen. If I don't realize it right away the undo opportunity goes away.

Then I'm forced to dig up a backup ATOM file and figure out what was deleted.

It's really really annoying.

Trash is a CORE missing feature for serious users of your product. Please add it.

Posted 12 years ago
tahi says:
Yes, yes, yes! Please implement Recycle bin!
Posted 12 years ago
alan.richomme says:
yes, ability to undelete tasks important + option to be asked if you rally want to delete
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
andypryke says:
I'm regretting going pro now. Is there any ongoing development on this?
Posted 12 years ago
andypryke says:
I'm sure tasks are disappearing from my list when I haven't taken any actions on them. I use from Android and the web. If it continues, I'll have to move to another service, although aside from this I still think RTM is the best.
Posted 12 years ago
amardip.sekhon says:
I've inadvertently deleted tasks as well and would love to recover them. I only notice later when I search for a task and it's missing. It's especially frustrating when there's a note attached. It would be so great to have the option to review a deleted tasks list. I agree that auto-purging it every 30 days or so would be more than enough time to recover any accidentally deleted items.
Posted 12 years ago
amardip.sekhon says:
Actually, I think the tasks are disappearing on their own, as per hybris and andypryke above. Possible causes could be using the Postpone button as that is the only action I've taken on the missing tasks. I also use the Android app to sync but didn't take any action on the missing tasks in the Android app.

I was migrating from Google tasks to RTM, and about to go pro, but now I think I'll have to go back to Google tasks, b/c even though Google tasks doesn't have nearly as great the functionality, at least I knew all of tasks will always be there.
Posted 12 years ago
miteshashar says:
Yes! I did the same! I deleted tasks by mistake!

Request you to work on this!
Posted 12 years ago
billerr says:
I have experienced this too lately. Though I'm not sure if the tasks are disappearing on their own or if I accidentally multi-select them and delete them, there definitely should be some option (like a separate list, or a view like "complete/incomplete") to view deleted tasks.
Since it's only been happening recently, I guess it's probably a disappearing bug, in which case a Trash functionality might not save those tasks. Still, such a function would prove quite helpful and safety-ensuring.
Posted 12 years ago
manolson says:
I am considering abandoning rememberthemilk.com for some other solution due to the lack of this feature (and the fact that after doing an action on a tasks, it is not unselected - a VERY DANGEROUS COMBINATION ... I don't even know what I may have just lost - 100% unacceptable ! )
Posted 12 years ago
steve23606 says:
Why the complete silence from Bob on this?

This is quite fundamental. Silently deleting stuff is bad. The delete key is next to the enter key so it's easy to delete stuff without even realising. The lack of a recycle bin or delete confirmation is a major oversight IMHO.
Posted 11 years ago
kearon says:
+1
Me too, yes please. Really important feature request. Have been going for RTM in a big way and just fell foul of the lack of functionality - mistakes are easy to make, we need a way to reverse them - when we finally realise.
Posted 11 years ago
jaxiinofea says:
+1

We need recyle bin !!!
Posted 11 years ago
tylertolman says:
WOULD LOVE RECYCLE BIN! I'll pay for it...really I will. :-)
Posted 11 years ago
ellensoffice123 says:
Just lost a very important task with long, detailed notes attached. It's going to cost me!
Recycle Bin PLEASE!!!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
christian.boesgaard says:
I was just hit by this. A recycle bin with say 30 days auto delete would be very nice!
Posted 11 years ago
dan.rizzuto says:
+1,000,000,000,000,000

HELP!
Posted 11 years ago
tim.billington says:
This makes me feel a bit sick.
I didn't even know you could delete tasks.

I just noticed that 2 tasks that I remembered to do anyway today had disappeared. The question is - how many others got deleted?
I don't even recall deleting them.

Please, we need a recycle bin on this.

Thanks.
Posted 11 years ago
bcasteel says:
+1 for having a recycle bin.

(Also, the idea of allowing tasks to be cancelled or uncancelled is related: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/13232/)
Posted 11 years ago
marcio.gurgel says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
susana.barbosa says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
jimmiedave says:
If RTM is listening at all, yes, please do this: A recycle bin.
Posted 11 years ago
yublocka says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
ryansc0tt says:
Yes please. I created a list for deleted tasks instead of actually deleting them. Sometimes I have notes or details that I want to keep.
Posted 11 years ago
chisha says:
Ok, so I just accidentally deleted a few important tasks - +1 on a recycle bin please!
Posted 11 years ago
milene.cha says:
I think I've deleted some tasks by accident. A recycle bin would be most helpful in this case. +1!!
Posted 10 years ago
mjlepage_work says:
I'm here because I was looking for help on how to retrieve a task that I accidentally deleted, so +1 for a trash can!
Posted 10 years ago
patrickcollins12 says:
You should never delete a task, only complete it. if you only complete it, then you can uncomplete it :)
Posted 10 years ago
nlam says:
managing a shared list and to be sure that a task is completed instead of deleted.
So when a task is deleted, it is placed in the deleted list, that is not shared, should be nice! +1
Posted 10 years ago
hamidnazari says:
I'm surprised this feature does not exist yet.
Posted 10 years ago
bookrackbooks says:
Need recycle bin in a SERIOUS way.
Posted 10 years ago
larrylarr says:
If Apple does this with disposable photos, imagine how behind the times RTM is for not having this with important tasks and the ease of inadvertently deleting tasks because of the inconsistent selection process in the RTM app. In some cases, the selections are automatically released. In other cases, they aren't. Don't forget to remember how the app behaves in every case, or you could inadvertently delete tasks and not know it.
Posted 8 years ago
gordonzano says:
Totally agree with all the above. A recycle bin with a 30 day auto deleting time frame is critically needed.
It would be worthwhile in the Pro version and may lure more FREE users to go Pro. It is one thing that will make me check out the competition when my renewal comes up.
Posted 8 years ago
edjr says:
I can't believe such a simple and critical feature hasn't been implemented in an app that does much more complex and amazing things.
Posted 7 years ago
gustav.erik says:
But it is implemented, isn't it!?

At least I have recycle bin in my account.
Posted 7 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.