Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Allow uppercase characters in tag names (case sensitive tags)

tzortea says:
notwithstanding post
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/694/
I think case sensitive tags would be a great aid in readability. For example: "replacecar" vs. "replaceCar".

Some names of advanced search operators use this feature, such as "tagContains" -- this looks much better than "tagcontains"

As always, thanks for your consideration.
Posted at 9:05pm on December 2, 2007
bzpilman says:
Maybe pseudo case sensitive tags would be more feasible.

That means the system saves replacecar for logic and search purposes, so RePLACECAR is still no different than replaceCar.
You could, though, alter it's "cosmetic" value under Settings/Tags. It would sure increase tag cloud readability.
Posted 16 years ago
tzortea says:
yes, great idea bzpilman.
Posted 16 years ago
lwallach says:
The problem with that, bspilman, is that you are dividing tag names into two seperate entities, a cosmetic name and a system name. Even if you don't do that in exactly that way, you are sitll having to convert tags to all lowercase both for the search parameter as well as the tags within the database backend. It's not horridly difficult, but it does take a bit of programming and also might slow down some of the querries a bit while things are converted. My vote would be just to have everything case sensative from end to end. I think at least this has a better chance of getting done because it would take less programming and also remove some of the processing time within the queries...
Posted 16 years ago
david.cumberbeach says:
Case sensitivity would be good for tags, but search should remain case insensitive or optional in order to catch typos or inconsistencies.

Case sensitivity also makes more sense for tags which are Acronyms, especially those which are traditionally written as a mix of cases, or could be confused with a regular word.
Posted 15 years ago
relevart says:
Case sensitive tags, but with case-insensitive searching. That would be great!
Posted 12 years ago
rossgoodman says:
My two most common tags are WaitingFor or DiscussWith and then ForenameSurname : having the correct case displayed would make it much more readable.
I agree with making the search case insensitive.
Posted 12 years ago
amirmasoudabdol says:
It would be really nice and useful
Posted 12 years ago
wwwrgh says:
It does not make much sense to admit only lowercase. Take into account that many Twitter usernames contain capital letters ....
Posted 12 years ago
grshirley says:
agree uppercase should be allowed
Posted 12 years ago
karlatland says:
Was there every a developer response to this. Curious if the answer to the many request for case sensitive ever got a No answer (with a reason why it wasn’t feasible) or if it has just been ignored for 15 years?
Posted 7 months ago