Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Smart Lists: when adding a task, prompt asking which list to add to

mddperkins says:
When I am viewing a Smart List which filters one list and I add a new task, it knows which list to add it to.

When I am viewing a Smart List which filters multiple lists and I add a new task, it goes to the Inbox.

Expected result of adding a task in either scenario is that I can immediately see the task in front of me. And if the filter does happen to hide it, I know it is in the correct list with no further action required.

My proposal is that RTM asks which list of the ones being filtered I wish to add the task to by presenting me with a list of options. This solution offers a consistent outcome for both scenarios.

I know I can manually tag the list when typing the new task entry, but this requires remembering a different procedure when regularly moving between lists and Smart Lists, which ultimately ends up with the tag being forgotten in many cases. Adding a tag in this way is also not as intuitive and breaks the flow of quickly adding a task.
Posted at 4:48pm on August 2, 2022
(closed account) says:
What would the selection in the popup include? Just the lists that would fit the Smart List you're in at the time? And if you want to add a task to a list that is not represented by that Smart List, would you then have to dismiss the question first before adding it? Or would you be forced to go to a different list (either a relevant Smart List or a specific List) before you begin adding a task?

If any of these would be required, I think it'd cause more of a disruption to have the popup asking for a list. It seems to be a lot less of a problem if I just add the list tag. Or, if I forget to do that, have as part of my regular workflow to go through my Inbox to assign tasks to lists.

If I'm adding several tasks one after another, I don't want to have to change the List I'm in with each task just so RTM will automatically put them in lists for me. I'd rather just specify the list when I'm creating the task.

Just my opinion.
Posted 1 year ago
mddperkins says:
The prompt would only include the lists which the Smart List is filtering. For example, in the "Work" Smart List, you could have "Business 1", "Business 2" and "Business 3". It would present these in the prompt. It wouldn't present "Chores", "Birthdays" or "Ideas" since these are not relevant to the list in hand.

If you didn't specify a list, then yes, the prompt should show. If you already specified a list, there's no reason for the prompt to show. I don't think your last paragraph is really relevant as you can just stick to your current workflow of tagging lists when you're in a different list. It wouldn't change that. All this solution does is minimise the number of tasks entering the Inbox (but could be disabled, see below).

It would actually be no grievance if it allowed the user to type any list in manually at the bottom of the prompt. Every task belongs in a list, so if you haven't specified one you likely forgot, or had reason for it to be in the Inbox. I suggest the former is far more likely - users can tag Inbox if that's what they wanted, which is the normal way to add a task to the Inbox. Accordingly, it could also have a check "Don't prompt me again" if users didn't want to see the prompt at all. And pressing Escape could also quickly cancel the prompt. People have different use-cases and ways of using software, so these additions should cover the majority if not all of those.

To me, it seems intuitive to prompt for a list. Single-list Smart Lists essentially prompt for a list invisibly, as they're able to determine which list a task should belong. Consistent behaviour would be placing these single-list items in the Inbox too, but we intuitively know it should not do that. Adding a prompt keeps multi-list Smart Lists consistent with this single-list behaviour for when the user forgets to specify a list.
Posted 1 year ago
(closed account) says:
Good points, mddperkins. Would you want requests for other ambiguous properties as well (tags, locations, delegations, etc.)? They work pretty much the same as lists.
Posted 1 year ago