Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Task timer?

floweringtree says:
Introducing an option to time a task in real time onto the "file card" for each task, with the further option, on a repeating task, to "revise future time estimate to the time recorded," would be very useful.

That is, having a "start task" button on a task, which would count the time until you marked the same task as completed, so you could compare the time ACTUALLY taken with your estimate, or simply set it as the estimate for the future.

At present I do this manually to some extent, but it is quite a lot of work messing around with a timer or time-tracking-app and revising estimates by hand for a lot of to-dos, and having it automated would be really amazing.

I can imagine it might also serve as a psychological help to focus in terms of actually getting things done, too! :-)

Further options for repeated tasks such as "revise estimate to average completion time," would be excellent (within reason) but I'm assuming that would be more complicated (to implement, and possibly to use).

RTM is a really good app - nothing else I've tried comes close to it in usefulness and usability - but I do get frustrated with the lack of options and information that would help with time management evaluation and improvement! :-)
Posted at 12:04pm on June 17, 2022
milene.cha says:
great suggestion
Posted 1 year ago
milene.cha says:
indeed, RTM lacks review and planning tools, some of them like this task timer would be quite simple to implement
Posted 1 year ago
milene.cha says:
I use Toggl timer with RTM, but I have to manually compare estimates (in RTM) and billed time (in Toggl) in a separate sheet
Posted 1 year ago
robgg says:
Pomodoro
Posted 1 year ago
floweringtree says:

@Robgg: Personally, it is a count up, not a count down, which I think I would find most useful. I don't find "spend half an hour studying" much of a difficulty in RMT. It's tasks like hanging up laundry, which take as long as they take, which throw me. But I'd happily vote yes to any suggestion of a count up!

@milene.cha: yes, I use Attracker, or sometimes just plain a stopwatch, both of which work as far as it goes, and then manually compare. But being very dyslexic/dyspraxic I don't really have the processing capacity for the manual comparision, and I don't manage to correct things very often that way - I'm very reliant on automation on computers. Also, as RTM doesn't allow you to look at the estimates of tasks completed, it is plain impossible to see how much you got done or of what.

I'd guess this might be something that could be done through integration or an add on, but I have no real idea.
Posted 1 year ago