Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Pro Suggestions - Attachments

alejandrops says:
Sometimes I need to attach a file (pdf, word, xls), for a task. I know bandwith and storage cost money, so this is a feature to the pro version. What do you think?
Posted at 6:36pm on August 24, 2007
angela.randall says:
Maybe attach urls to google docs :)
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Wow, Ange, that's a superb way of doing that! While it wouldn't work for all file types, it's still very utile. You're clever!

While attachments may seem like a logical step forward, from a technically realistic perspective, I'm against the inclusion of such a feature. It opens up a whole other can of worms in terms of the site potentially crashing / being bogged down, etc.
Posted 16 years ago
jonthn says:
Attachments is also a feature that i was looking for for the Pro account but after reading jkalvin i must agree with him.
Plus rtm is for managing ideas, task, your time . If you had such a feature wouldn't that deviates the first goal of rtm ?

But i'm more enclined to make "notes" better.

Posted 16 years ago
alejandrops says:
I love the google docs Idea!
Maybe making notes better is all what I need, dont know.
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
I just thought of google docs because
a) solves the hosting problem easy

b) a lot of people using RTM seem to be google calendar (and probably gmail) enthusiasts.

The only problem is that you have to publish it publicly to get a url. There's the preview url, but you cant get a link to edit from there.

Either way, it'd be useful for non-private info. Especially if you're collaborating with other people.. having a shared RTM task link to a document all users have priveleges to edit would be awesome.

Plus, google gears should work with it soon. The possibilities are pretty cool!
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
Whoops. I totally lied.

You can get a url for a document without publishing... Just right click the title in the list of documents and copy it.

Ange.
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
You can link to a file on your own computer through the use of file:///H:/Shortcuts_RTM/Flextime_2007.xls for example (no blanks in link in this case).

It seems that Firefox doesn't allow this (IE does) but there's a patch for this.

However, the file is only accessible from that computer but for certain files maybe that's OK.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
The suggestion of angela.randall with integrating google docs is great.

There is only one thing that bothers me about that:

google docs doesn't support PDF files.

Furthermore adding a document to the URL limits the number of documents to 1, it would be nicer to have several documents for every task.
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
You can add the urls into notes if you need more.. but the lack of pdf is a pain, yes.
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add more URLS?
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
Heh. YES.
Posted 16 years ago
klassicd says:
Great idea!
Posted 16 years ago
jmack says:
Another thought - I was using Google Docs & Spreadsheets back in its initial beta and thought it was about the greatest thing since sliced bread. BTW, Google Docs most certainly does support PDF files - you can export to PDF and you can also import PDF files to it. However I started using Zoho a little later and found I like their way of doing it more to my liking. Their PDF support is a little flawed in that tables often lose their formatting when you export to PDF. But the developers have promised improvements.

Mainly I guess I would like to see more than just Google Docs supported for Pro subscribers.

BYW, I just got back to RTm after being away for a few weeks and just found out about the Pro upgrade. As long as I can find a way to access RTM on a Blackberry device I will be upgrading shortly. However presently it does not work with my new device and that is a critical need for me. :(

Jim
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
Surely Zoho offer links to their docs too? (I'm not going to sign up just to find out - even though they look really good)
Posted 16 years ago
eyals says:
GOOGLE DOCS WILL NOT DO.
One of the best features of RTM is the emailing of tasks from my outlook. How do I transfer the attachment, so I don't have to look in outlook to find it?
Posted 16 years ago
tonio3000 says:
Regarding the attachments issue, I sometimes use box.net in parallel to RTM.

The free service is useful enough (1GB storage, you can upload file for up to 10Megs).

What I do is create a "TOREAD" folder in my box.net account and drop every doc I'm supposed to read.
Parallel to that I have a recurring task in RTM that prompts me every week day to read what's in my TOREAD folder.

www.box.net
Posted 15 years ago
jeremy.floyd says:
http://drop.io may be another solution to quickly "drop" a file and link the shortened URL to the task.
Posted 15 years ago
hourback says:
Hear, hear, eyals!

My goal is centralized task management, a la GTD -- a single to-do list. Every day I get dozens of tasks sent to me in the form of e-mail. The closer RTM can mimic an e-mail message the more convenient it is to use it as a centralized task storage facility.

There are just too many clicks involved with manually linking to a file that doesn't exist somewhere yet because someone just e-mailed it to me.

This is making me try GTDInbox again. :-) Although I'm bluffing because I would never stop using RTM completely, but maybe for GTD.
Posted 14 years ago
roopesh says:
I have to agree that attachments are a must-have. I hacked together an Applescript for Entourage that put whole emails msg files on my iDisk and put the URL of the iDisk file in my RTM URL. This is a very (very very very) clunky work-around to missing functionality.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
attachments would be great - look at the success of evernote: many people start using evernote as a GTD tool because you can store anything there.
Posted 14 years ago
hbeale says:
i support this idea too.

the URL is a good idea for some implementations, but i don't necessarily want my attachments to be publicly available on the web. i would like to able to attach jpgs for reference (e.g. "buy something like this" with a snapshot, or "record this expense" with an image of a receipt). i want to be able to delegate the task to someone who might not have the passwords to access secured websites. if i re-direct a URL with a link to my local computer, the attachment isn't available when i'm not at my computer.

as far as storage capacity issues, the back-end could use amazon's S3. you could require users who want attachments to have an amazon S3 account and make everyone pay for their own storage that way.
Posted 14 years ago
marek.uhlir says:
Voting for attachments feature as well. I am a newbie in RTM, I love it, but attaching files is something I would appreciate. We use Base Camp in our company and the attachments feature there was the one that forced us to upgrade to payplan.
Posted 14 years ago
slick8086 says:
For attachments I'm linking to google docs. Just copy the URL from the address bar if you want to keep it private, that way you have to be logged into your docs account to see it. If you want to share the task with someone you can share the doc with them too. If you want to link to images then use picasa or flickr. I put my vote in for the ability to add additional URLs to tasks.
Posted 14 years ago
gpfister says:
Supporting attachments when sending emails to RTM would be ideal! Very convenient, easy to have the materials the task is referring to, and the iPhone app could be enhanced to support viewing the documents as well.
Posted 14 years ago
eprats says:
I also would like to have attachments in my tasks.
I receive every day a lot of e-mails with docs to review. It would be very nice to forward that e-mails to my rtm account to create the review task.

I agree to have this feature only to pro members.

In fact this is the main flaw I have found in rtm by now
Posted 14 years ago
moyn2000 says:
Very much would like attachments as well... one example, I like to record voice notes on my iphone, and the Apple voicenote app lets you email a note (mp3)... I'd love to send the note to RTM as a reminder, but now you just get a blank task that way.
Posted 14 years ago
mohr999 says:
A link between RTM and Evernote would be great:
links Evernote notes to RTM tasks
by clicking on the link in an RTM task the corresponding note pops up in Evernote
also vice versa: for any note in Evernote there's a link to the corresponding RTM task
Posted 14 years ago
This idea is considered similar to "Attachments for tasks", and all votes have been transferred to that idea.