Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Help overlay with the keyboard shortcuts (ala Google Reader)

(closed account) says:
I looked through the old posts asking about features to remind users of the often forgotten keyboard shortcuts, and didn't see much was done besides adding the tooltips for buttons. This is nice, but an additional method I think would be really useful is to add a shortcut key that would pop up an overlay that the user would be able to quickly reference and then esc out. You can see an example of this with the Google Reader app. When you press '?' (shift + /) while using the app, an overlay pops up displaying all the shortcut keys.

This should keep shortcuts unobtrusive for those who don't need to see them, and make them easily available from the keyboard for those who do need to see them.
Posted at 11:35am on April 16, 2007
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Try pressing "?". :)

This is now available in the new Remember The Milk.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this!
Posted 7 years ago
janniklindquist says:
Voted
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I use Google Reader everyday, and I'd never paid any attention to that help overlay. It's great. This is a feature worthing borrowing, Emily.
Posted 16 years ago
barend.strydom says:
I agree...great idea
Posted 16 years ago
jweede says:
This would be great. Although it can be done right now with a User Script, I'd like to see it added to the default.
Posted 12 years ago
rmchale says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
axolx says:
Most of us use sites with different mappings to its essential to have a quick cheat sheet that's easy to pull up.
Posted 12 years ago
mikefiedler says:
This is something severely lacking in my adoption/learning of more shortcuts, as I now have to open in another window, find the shortcut, and then close the new window to go do what I wanted.
Posted 11 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
After five years of requests, this handy idea (which I imagine would take much less than a week to code) still merits adoption.
Posted 11 years ago
katylava says:
Why are there so many down-votes (relative to up-votes) for this? I don't see how this could get in anyone's way, unless they don't like keyboard shortcuts at all, in which case that's a completely different issue.

Please, just do this. I'm always hitting '?' in RTM before I remember it doesn't work here.
Posted 11 years ago
katylava says:
BTW, I just paid $25 to go pro so my up-vote would count double for this.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Was just about to add this to ideas and found this post. This seems a convention on sites with keyboard shortcuts (google, github, etc) so would be nice to have. I keep hitting '?' trying to bring it up for a reminder.
Posted 11 years ago
emichael says:
I came here to add this. Most Google sites have '?' mapped to a cheat sheet, and many others have followed suit. It's a great feature. PLEASE ADD THIS!!
Posted 11 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.