Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Offline support without Google Gears

f789gh says:
Hi, I would like to use awesome application offline without gears (or just to install something. ) Please can you instead of Gears (by google not more supported) new things from HTML5 that has "offline mod".
Posted at 1:53pm on July 23, 2010
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We were able to bring back offline support with the launch of the new Remember The Milk.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this! :) We hope you enjoy offline support.
Posted 7 years ago
ken.odeluga says:
Gears still aid the usage of RTM in offline mode, even though Google said it's stopped development of Google Gears.

In any case, has Google made clear it's still *supporting* Gears, even if it's not going to add to Gears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Gears
Posted 13 years ago
sdohrn says:
Gears unfortunately never worked for Snow Leopard on Mac (and never will), so switching to an HTML5 offline option would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for the great work.
Posted 13 years ago
captaincampari says:
Offline is very important for me, too!
Gears never worked, I always had sync problems (stuck while syncing).
I'm missing offline support very much.
Posted 13 years ago
felixc says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
blablah says:
+1. I hate the fact that I have to use my ipod to get effective offline access.
Posted 13 years ago
dimitrilw says:
+1

The most recent comprehensive update I saw on RTM site is 10 months old:
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2010/04/the-future-of-offline-html5-and-web-standards/

I would really like to see this capability come to fruition. I'd also be interested in a status update.

Thank you, RTM Gurus.
--Dimitri
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1.

Offline capability is crucial, and whilst (if you have one) the iPhone app helps, the UI is necessarily constrained, and hence not as productive as the full-screen browser app.

Since it seems clear that Google is (a) no longer developing and (b) no longer supporting Gears, and, further, that the number of operating systems and browsers on which Gears works is rapidly decreasing (example: on a Mac, Gears only works with Firefox 3 - which is about to be replaced by Firefox 4 - and even then only with a certain amount of hackery under Snow Leopard), it would be helpful if we could get at least a statement of direction and suggestive timeline from RTM :)

I'm sure everyone understands that it's a hard problem to solve; and that there are dependencies in terms of browser support for other technologies (such as HTML 5, if that ends up being the desired direction), but an indication that the problem is recognised and that some action is underway to address it would be both reassuring and helpful.

Thanks!

--&e
Posted 13 years ago
jgergic says:
The last island of working Gears on Mac is Safari, Gears do not work in Firefox since 3.6 on my Mac. Now with Firefox 4, I am stuck completely. Please switch to HTML5 off-line storage.
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Sorry for the delay in responding on this topic. We posted our thoughts on the future of an offline web app back in April (as Dimitri already mentioned above); we'll share an update as soon as we can!
Posted 13 years ago
steve23606 says:
Gears is not supported in Firefox 4, so after 22nd March this could be an issue for a growing number of people.
Posted 12 years ago
mwld says:
+1

Yep, I´d really like to see offline support for Firefox 4!
Posted 12 years ago
blaylock says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
wrnr says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
egon.geerardyn says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
matthias_beyer says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
dowcet says:
+1

I was pretty much devastated when I realized that I can't use RTM offline in Firefox 4!
Posted 12 years ago
johnaby says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jamesr404 says:
Just updated my Chrome browser yesterday, and now it doesn't support Gears anymore.

Version: 12.0.742.53 beta-m

Going to roll back to a non-beta version, but the end of RTM offline is coming. ... *snif*
Posted 12 years ago
We're looking into it. :) In the past, some of the browsers haven't been quite as ready for offline support without Google Gears as we would've liked them to be, but that's changing now, so hopefully it's something we can support in the future.
Posted 12 years ago
aranel616 says:
It's the future now. This is a no-brainer. I'm sure it's just a matter of the RTM dev team finding the time.
Posted 12 years ago
kiepb says:
+1. By summer, RTM will be two major versions of Firefox will be released supporting HTML 5 only. We should be seeing firmer commitments from RTM mentioning timelines.
Posted 12 years ago
reubenthum says:
I've always believed that one way for web apps to really make sense and be on par with desktop applications is the offline capabilities it offers, for fast loading.

The other day when there was a scheduled maintenance and I've forgotten to sync RTM in iOS earlier, I sat there confused for a good 6 hours frantically hitting the refresh button. Man that sucks.

I do however apreciate the 3 years we've been able to use RTM offline as it's has helped us greatly and we thank you all. Looking forward to the offline access with HTML5 soon. (go Bob, go!)
Posted 12 years ago
docsmooth says:
+1 for offline support for FF4, thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
gstueck says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
aleyzerovich says:
Please please support FF 4.0 and HTML 5. Offline is invaluable, and I simply can't upgrade my browser because of my need for RTM offline.
Posted 12 years ago
christopherjohnson74 says:
Ditto. I relied heavily on the gears offline app and need something to replace it for Chrome. Thanks.
Posted 12 years ago
jacknova says:
Did you thought about silverlight out of browser application and sqlCE? It would be easy to write a cross platform client. You could even integrate a python engine to open interesting possibilityes.
Posted 12 years ago
jacknova says:
sqlCe seems available for silverlight only through com objects but this is not cross platform. Anyway there are some interesting solutions: http://siaqodb.com/ http://www.mcobject.com/perst isolated storage...
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Please - gears just stopped working on chrome and offline mode just isn't the same with internet explorer.
Posted 12 years ago
takets says:
Please GoogleGears support.
Posted 12 years ago
jon.yeo says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I limit my online access with a filter in order to be productive-- PLEASE make it your highest priority to bring back RTM Offline!!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Guys, please get going with this - you were one of the first to support Gears, now don't be the last to jump off that ghost train.

Even today, it requires going back to an outdated browser to still have Offline support for RTM, which is crucial - no way my task management tool is depending on an internet application (bridged only by the iPhone app at the moment, which is ... well: not a substitute for the great web app)
Posted 12 years ago
djh007 says:
+1 :)
Posted 12 years ago
cweb says:
I think it's hilarious that Googld Chrome doesn't support Google Gears. But I'm sad that I can't do offline RTM because I actually do update my browsers to keep up with security patches - I'm at FF4, IE9, and Chrome11 non of which support gears.
Posted 12 years ago
jayel14 says:
++

Hate to do a me-too-post here: for some weird reasons I was able to use gears to this date. And now I'm a regular FF4, IE9, Chrome12 guy without offline access to RTM. Hoping for a quick update, now!
Posted 12 years ago
rick.arnett says:
+1
It may not be much, but I will upgrade to pro when offline mode works with chrome again.
Posted 12 years ago
robertovg24 says:
+1
Now Chrome has discontinued Google Gears Support, we need transfer RTM offline funcionality to HTML5!

I hope this update quickly, for not to start looking for alternatives....
Posted 12 years ago
jean.davoust says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
gstueck says:
another +1 because chrome now has discontinued supporting Google Gears
Posted 12 years ago
mvdc says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
pcf111 says:
I posted a small guide on my blog on how to fix this, so you can use offline mode again:
"How to use Remember The Milk in offline mode in Google Chrome" - http://j.mp/lr5u11
Posted 12 years ago
lguenther says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
colin_thames says:
I realise that most of this string has been about browser support but no-one has mentioned App for the Milk a cross platform (runs on Adobe Air) offline app for your Windows, Mac or Ubuntu PC. I've just discovered and love it. It's bare bones but it allows you to view your tasks, edit them and add new ones and when you're next online it will update RTM. In the meanwhile it keeps your tasks safe in an XML file. Just Google it. It's free. I just hope the developer keeps suporting it, or that RTM buy it from him - he deserves the recognition.

Hope this helps.
Posted 12 years ago
rodrigo.chiong says:
+1

six weeks already (and this thing has been in developpment a lot more time), no news at all? Offline access was really useful, not only when no internet is availavle but with flaky connections too
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 !!!!!

HTML5 is the future and it is here NOW. I am hoping this is in the works. I would hate to see RTM fall behind the times.
Posted 12 years ago
tony.grout says:
Please get us moved over to HTML5 as soon as possible - just lost offline as Chrome is now on V12 with no support for Gears. +1
Posted 12 years ago
Please see our latest blog post, An update on offline access without Gears, for more details on where we're up to with HTML5 offline support.
Posted 12 years ago
danmoov2 says:
I really think Adobe AIR is a suitable stop-gap it supports html and JS so would probably only require minimal effort to take the existing offline app and switch from gears to sqlite. I'm confident it could be done in one "caffine fuelled weekend". In fact I'd bet on it.
Posted 12 years ago
lanwin says:
+1

Please automatically detect and go offline and online.

Its very annoying that i have to do two clicks each time i go online. I often work offline and then continue to work on another pc. So currently i have to remind myself to do the clicks before i can start to use the tasks on the other machine.
Posted 12 years ago
jayel14 says:
@emily:

Thank you for the update. I still would have hoped for quicker solution and a more definitive time line. Without off-line support on my notebook rtm is just half useful to me...
Posted 12 years ago
kcarnold says:
Could you clarify what about the HTML5 technologies is "not quite ready"? Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
vincent.ardiet says:
Would it be possible to have at least a date ?
Posted 12 years ago
vincent.ardiet says:
Ok, I've seen your update emily now
Posted 12 years ago
tony.grout says:
Can you give as an update on this as it's pretty frustrating losing capability. Thanks
Posted 12 years ago
Hi Tony,

Not sure if you've seen this, but we posted an update on our blog last month -- we'll let you guys know just as soon as we have any further news.
Posted 12 years ago
tony.grout says:
Hi Emily, so Google have launched their offline version as the blog suggested, suggesting they believe the technology is commercially viable. So what's the timeline for RTM now? Thanks - Tony
Posted 12 years ago
As mentioned in our blog post, An update on offline access without Gears, we've been waiting on the HTML5 technologies required to re-implement offline support to be production-ready.

Now that Google has made Gmail, Calendar, and Docs available offline in Chrome, we expect to be able to use a similar approach to make Remember The Milk available offline without Gears.

We expect to use the same technology as Google (Web SQL) -- I should note that Google's offline support is for Chrome only. We'll definitely be supporting Chrome, and likely also the other browsers with Web SQL support (that's Safari, iOS Safari, Android Browser, and Opera). Given Google's use of Web SQL with Chrome, we know that this technology/browser combination is ready for offline support for an app like ours.

At least to begin with, we won't have support for IE (which has no offline HTML5 technology available at this time), or Firefox (which doesn't support Web SQL, and would need an implementation of the alternative IndexedDB), but we'll be able to look at our options for these browsers once we get our initial offline support going... one step at a time. :)

We have a fair bit of work to do to re-implement offline support in HTML5, so we don't know when we'll have this available just yet, but we'll post any updates here.
Posted 12 years ago
Hi Tony,

I've just posted an update.
Posted 12 years ago
tony.grout says:
Thanks Emily, look forward to seeing the end result.
Posted 12 years ago
jayel14 says:
It's still eagerly expected. Thanks for all the effort!
Posted 12 years ago
cyberhiker says:
+1 Not upset that it's missing, but wishing it was available.
Posted 12 years ago
james.m.l.cramer says:
I want an official Adobe Air version, that can cache the tasks for offline use. For when internet is not available like on a plane, etc. Could be made just like the iPAD version but runs on Air.
Posted 12 years ago
henrikba says:
Really interested in a Gears-less offline version!

Gears is working great for FF, but now as it's deprecated (and; I've moved over to other browsers than Firefox), it would be a nice thing to have!

(that said - synching with iPad, iPhone, offline web and a couple of different browsers in online mode, I have NEVER had any data consistency issues - RTM is just working!)
Posted 12 years ago
vamshikk says:
Take your time. With more people moving to cell phones and apps, we already have an offline version :) :) :)
Posted 12 years ago
mxq says:
I need off-line mode for my laptop computer with a bigger screen than i-pod, especially when I am traveling in foreign countries where I have not good access to Internet. This is why I am using an old version of firefox in my laptop. It is nice if RTM.app with offline mode, such as the application for i-pod, is provided for my laptop Mac. I do not stick on off-line service through my browser.
Posted 12 years ago
rain89nl says:
I'm also waiting for this to happen. Can't even install Gears no more
Posted 12 years ago
mxq says:
RTM has good viewers on iPad and iPhone. So why not on Mac OS-X. It may be easier than to tackle with HTML5...
Posted 12 years ago
paul.vermette says:
Looking for same thing...
Posted 12 years ago
mikabren says:
This is really becoming a musthave!
There are several tasks I can complete without being online (e.g. when I'm on the train) but without being able to see which tasks I need to complete, my time on the train's wasted.
Posted 12 years ago
ashlind says:
Much needed.
Posted 12 years ago
zacharygthomas says:
I'm waiting on offline mode to re-purchase my pro membership. Any additional transparency that you can provide would be appreciated! I use RTM on international flights, and I've been lost without offline mode.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
michaelk84 says:
If I can't use RTM offline - I don't have piece of mind. I'm looking forward to when I can use this great application :D
Posted 12 years ago
phillipnorthc says:
i'm shopping for to do programs right now, and I was coming straight here because I remember learning it had offline access. That it no longer does means, unfortunately, that I'm going to look elsewhere. I imagine I'm not alone.
Posted 12 years ago
aleyzerovich says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mxq says:
I found the same discussion @
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/3007/

Posted 12 years ago
robelin says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
bill.bane says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
karya says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
dror.lev says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
tony.grout says:
Hi Emily, any news on this? It's been a while now.
Posted 11 years ago
hoi says:
Hi, what about offline? Any update?
Posted 11 years ago
matthias_beyer says:
Even just offline support for Chrome would be greatly appreciated!
+2
Posted 11 years ago
wolfeinstein says:
i guess I need to find another app for this ... its sad
Posted 11 years ago
nitingoel says:
its been a long time how do i use rtm offline in chrome thanks
Posted 11 years ago
lillgu says:
+1

offline mode is vital for those without constant internet access.
Posted 11 years ago
a.obhof says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
ryan.hammer says:
Ok RTM, it's time for another update on this. It's been a while.
Posted 11 years ago
ceag1970 says:
The forums are useless if there are no solutions, Remember the milk was very helpful when I could use at any time, this solution lost value, was good. : (.
Posted 11 years ago
yayabiko says:
+1 much needed
Posted 11 years ago
hunshiki says:
What about a simple Adobe AIR, or Java based application? It's easy to develop in both languages, and both will behave the same on every OS.

I know Java is not that lightweight (it's on par with C#), but offline support is not something you always need. If you are on a Chromebook, or something with limited resources, just stick to the web interface.

Otherwise, the AIR/Java app would be there.
Posted 11 years ago
jamag says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
sindlerh says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Come on already!
Posted 11 years ago
gursoye says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
omar.reddam says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
richbreen says:
Just evaluating this on my iPhone and iPad - like it a lot, but without offline desktop support it's a non-starter. Too bad...
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1

Thanks for a great service, offline support is going to make it even better!
Posted 11 years ago
elias.pipinakis says:
+1 for PC
Posted 11 years ago
torchtarget says:
+1 for offline
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mblawrence says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
wulfm0n says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mayowa.olatoye says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
johnbyrnes says:
+1 This is really a critical feature.
Posted 10 years ago
arete says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
good.ryanm says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
henrikba says:
I (and guess more) would appreciate a new update on this from the team.
IMO, a "sure, we're working on it, but still 6+ months out" is better than continued radio silence.

The last "official" update was from Omar back in July, 2011.

Keep up the good work :)
Posted 10 years ago
johannes.sierl says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
javier.fernandez.braga says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
antlerboy says:
+1 please
Posted 10 years ago
pojkensimon says:
In order for me to upgrade my account to a pro. This is a key feature.
Posted 10 years ago
mxq says:
+1 I have been waiting for almost three years.
Posted 10 years ago
jonty1982 says:
+1 would be really helpful with my chromebook
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
sigh +1.
been using rtm for years - would love to be able to use it while traveling offline :|
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
ok - that wasn't very nice. yes, I love RTM - it's a core part of my workflow. Thank you for making such a deceptively simple, yet immensely functional tool. I too would love to see an update about possible offline access.
Posted 10 years ago
michaelkiy says:
New chromebooks are rolled out and waiting for the RTM offline support.
Posted 10 years ago
antlerboy says:
+1 still waiting for offline access please...
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1, please ;)
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Offline access to RM via Google Chrome, please. Thank you!
Posted 9 years ago
sianth says:
Pleeeeease!
Posted 9 years ago
ken.takeshige says:
+1, please, please. people needs this.
Posted 9 years ago
henrikba says:
12-week nag. New bus flight upcoming - desktop offline would be sweet!
Even sweeter just an official response. "We won't ever do it" is of course not my hope, but even that is better than radio silence :)
Posted 9 years ago
henrikba says:
(Of course) I use RTM to remind me of this forum thread once in a while (on my "TICKLER" list). Would a "remember-to-nag-RTM-about-offline-access"-story be worthy a tip-of-the-week?? ;)
Posted 9 years ago
sanjeevsaraf says:
Any updates?
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
The latest release of RTM has offline support now. Yay!
Posted 8 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.