Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

email delay

rcamner says:
I know people have had delay issues from time to time, but before I register a concern, I want to know what kind of time frame is typical to expect when emailing a task to the RTM email address. I don't use it often, and today I've sent two tasks that have not shown up yet, but I don't want to be impatient until I know what's "expected" or "typical" behavior.
Posted at 8:02pm on December 14, 2009
rcamner says:
It's now been 2 hours since I sent two different emails to the inbox address, and they've neither bounced nor arrived!
Posted 14 years ago
rcamner says:
Now I'm sitting on 9 hours...still no arrival of the task to the inbox address
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi rcamner,

It usually only takes seconds for RTM to process an email and add the task/s to your account (probably allow up to a minute after sending the email, just to be sure).

It definitely shouldn't take hours; we'll post any known issues on the status blog if there are system-wide delays.

We've investigated this, and there don't appear to be any system-wide issues with our email system at this time -- would it be possible to submit an issue report (if you haven't done so already), and we can check into this further for any issues affecting your account?

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
benb says:
I sent some stuff today, and it appeared within minutes.

Do other emails you send to real people arrive promptly? (just wondering if the problem is your email)
Posted 14 years ago
rcamner says:
I'm going to be submitting an issue report. I've sent several emails, both to the "import" address and the "email task" address, from two different email accounts, and none have arrived. It's now been nearly 24 hours, so something is amiss somewhere (and yes, other emails sent out from these two email accounts have arrived just fine).

Posted 14 years ago
rcamner says:
Aha....I have a clue here, but I don't understand it. I have a smart list that uses this criteria:

list:inbox or list:CWA

The emailed tasks appear in this smart list (so they are obviously arriving!) but they are NOT in the Inbox!

This smart list works perfectly for items that are in the CWA list (they appear both in CWA as well as in the smart list) but tasks emailed to the Inbox do not appear in the Inbox. If I add a task manually to the Inbox, it appears both in the Inbox list as well as the smart list.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
rcamner,
Sounds like your tasks are being added to the CWA list for some reason. Either that's your default list or the tasks you're adding have #CWA somewhere in them (i.e. Smart Add is parsing that as the list where you want your tags to go).

Hope that helps!
Posted 14 years ago
benb says:
So tasks you're emailing are going to the CWA list.

That means that either you're specifying the list in the email (in the subject for the bulk one, or in the body for the single one) or your default list is set to CWA.

If it's the second you can change it by going to:
settings > lists
select inbox and choose set as default from the more actions drop down.
Posted 14 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
I had a similar problem when I had a smart list as my default list. Some tasks I added could only be seen in the Gmail gadget but neither deleted nor edited there, I had to ask RTM to delete them. Changing my default list to a regular list (Inbox) solved the problem.
Posted 14 years ago
rcamner says:
Yes, indeed, CWA is my default list. I set it to be that so that when I open up RTM each day it always goes to that list, both on the Mac and on the iPhone. I did not realize that by setting a default list, that's also where all emailed tasks end up. Because my test email tasks had no due date, they were appearing at the bottom of a list with about 50 tasks in it, so I didn't see it.

I also see that having a Smart List (inbox or CWA) is redundant if I have CWA set as the default list.

Thanks all for the help. My ignorance did not serve me well here!
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
rcamner, the iPhone doesn't open to your default list, but rather to the view you had most recently used. Personally, my default list is my Inbox (because I expect the same behavior you were), but I have my iPhone open to a Smart List that I wish to view "by default".

What you could do is use the website with a link directly to a list (your CWA one) and keep your default list as the Inbox. Just an idea. :)
Posted 14 years ago
rcamner says:
andrewski, that's a great idea! I use Fluid on my Mac to have a dedicated app for RTM. A link directly to the list is what I need.
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.