Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

GTD- Is there a quicker way to create a new project smart-list?

ianfong1000 says:
Hi guys,

I've been using RTM as a GTD tool, and its been quite effective so far...
I use it in conjection with the Android app which is fantastic.

Anyways, I give each new "Project" its own tag... e.g. p- rtm., and then create a smart-list with the same name that searches for this tag.

However, the current path is quite a long and convoluted one:

1) create task with new project tag: e.g. "sign up for rtm, #p-rtm"
2) search for this new tag "tag:p-rtm"
3) save search as a smart list and give it a name "p-rtm"

So this is quite a lot of work every time i want to add a new project... is there a more streamlined way to do this?

Cheers
Posted at 7:24am on November 23, 2009
(closed account) says:
Well, if you can bring up all the tasks tagged with that project name by clicking on that tag in the cloud, why do you need to create a permanent smart list? Seems redundant to tag the tasks with that name and then put them on a list of that name.

I just create a list "on the fly" by clicking on the appropriate tag whenever I want to review the tasks for that project.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
No, that's exactly as fast as creating a Smart List based on a tag can be. I guess you could create the Smart List first and then add the first task, as any new tasks added to it will inherit its properties (in this case, the tag).
Posted 14 years ago
ianfong1000 says:
@echarles

thanks for the reply... the main reason why i create a smart list is then i have an easy to reference list of "projects" that I can easily scan over and review... Essentially the smart lists become my Project List, as described in GTD... if its in the tag cloud, its harder to systematically review

@Andrewski
Thanks, I guess that takes one step out of it...
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.