Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Email based task creation gets date wrong when I use "TODAY"

greg.callaghan says:
Hi,

Email based task creation gets date wrong when I use "TODAY"

I'm guessing when i send the new task via email "do xyz, TODAY" then shortly after log onto RTM it appears as a task that should have been completed the day before. Not I am in a +10hour GMT timezone.

Is this a bug?

Posted at 10:23pm on October 27, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Greg,

This sounds like it could be a problem with timezones. Would it be possible to double check to make sure that your timezone setting in Remember The Milk matches your system timezone on any computers where you use the site? It's also important to check the location of the timezone to make sure that they match.

To change your timezone, click on 'Settings' at the top of the page.
- Click on the 'General' tab.
- Locate the 'Timezone' option, and choose the appropriate setting.
- Click the 'Save Changes' button.

Hope this helps!
Posted 14 years ago
greg.callaghan says:
This was already set in RTM settings. I've also noted that this bug occurs when creating similar reminders via Dial-to-go rtm integration service.

BTW I don't have anythong under the location tab however I assume this would not be the issue?

You Akeem about the time settings on my PC however would this matter for the reminders that are actually created via email? What about if (not saying it is) my mail provider is located overseas (eg gmail/google etc)

thanks
greg
Australia

Posted 14 years ago
greg.callaghan says:
PS. I just tried sending a reminder via email from both:
- gmail
- webmail of local ISP in Australia

In both cases the issed occured

Posted 14 years ago
greg.callaghan says:
Tried sending a "today at 11pm". In this case I got a reminder that was actually "today" but was at 10pm not 11pm as I was expecting
Posted 14 years ago
greg.callaghan says:
PS Can you explain how Evernote handles reminder creation for email based creations, where there are keywords such as TOMORROW used?

CREATION: Where does it ger the users current time? (ie to translate keywords like "today"). Wouldn't just be based on the timezone of the RTM's users setting in the RTM settings?

DISPLAY: How about then the time base for how it displays reminders? Is this the timezone setting from the device being used?

This will help me debug.

Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
You're right that the timezone on your computer wouldn't matter when sending a task by email, but it would when displaying it on the website. There, both the RTM-set timezone and computer-set timezone come into play. That's why both need to be in sync.

It still sounds like this is an issue related to timezones; have you already checked that?

If that's not the issue, which browser are you using?
Posted 14 years ago
greg.callaghan says:
Solved: I had selected the correct +10 hours and country, but there were actually multiple city options (i.e. +10, Australia, Brisbane) further over to the right in the list I'd missed. I'd selected the first which was Sydney which is on daylight savings whereas Brisbane is not. This fixed things...
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.