Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Search for "Emailed In"

markwilliams says:
I saw this: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/5378/

and wanted to ask if the answer had changed.

Is there now a way to search for taskes that have been "emailed in"

I tried sentfrom: emailed in and that didn't work.

This would be a very handy feature. I would use it to verify that the tasks I sent did indeed end up where I wanted them to go.
Posted at 7:51pm on October 26, 2009
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
No, there's currently no way to search for any tasks by source.

Assuming you don't use the Inbox for everything, and send your emailed tasks to your Inbox (or, rather, don't send them elsewhere) you could use your Inbox as your "holding ground" for emailed tasks.

Are you having trouble with email or something?
Posted 14 years ago
markwilliams says:
I had tried to email this in:
Call Joe RE: Craigslist Item - $15 (my city) - XXX-XXX-XXXX #na #ps-daily @Home ^tonight 5pm someones@emailaddress.com

It split the phone number to it's own task and dropped a bunch of the criteria too.

I've encountered other quirkiness where I email something in and I can't find the task easily because it splits it or puts it somewhere other than where I intended it to go.

I love the new addition features, especially through email. It's a huge timesave, but I either have to be able to rely that it will correctly parse my task, OR I need to have a way to verify the tasks (once a week or so) that have been emailed in.

Thanks!
Mark
Posted 14 years ago
markwilliams says:
Oh and in regards to using the Inbox as a holding ground, I don't keep anything in my inbox and don't want to have to email tasks and then go sort them once they are there.

Another thought would be to have any tasks that can't be fully parsed moved to the Inbox automagically? Don't know how much work that would be.

If I can't rely on the import method, I'll have to continue what I have been doing which is just adding all tasks through the web page (which I have open all the time anyway).
Posted 14 years ago
Hm, I didn't have the same problem with the task you mentioned above. I wonder if it may be the subject line; do you have the same trouble if you use your Import address and put this task in the body?

In general though, you may want to surround the task name portion in quotes to avoid being parsed, e.g. "Call Joe RE: Craigslist Item - $15 (my city) - XXX-XXX-XXXX" #na #ps-daily @Home ^tonight 5pm

Hope that helps!
Posted 14 years ago
markwilliams says:
Sorry, should have mentioned. I only use my import address and put the text of the tasks in the body of the message (no subject on the message) one task per line.

I'll have to start using quotes from here on out, but would still love to see a searchable "Emailed In". It would be SO HANDY!
Posted 14 years ago
Ah, in which case the problem may be that your email client is breaking the message into multiple lines. Something to check out maybe. Does it work if you have a lot shorter name?
Posted 14 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
One way to find everything you email in is to add some text to every task you mail in "yaeit" (yet another emailed-in task) and leave that in as part of each task's description. Ugly I realize, but if you need to find these tasks than maybe adding a little ugly text to each item might be worth it?
Posted 14 years ago
markwilliams says:
I'm using gmail.

Yeah, I could add a tag to each line like ranbarton suggested, but that seems so unnecessary since the data is in the task, it's just not searchable.

Thanks for the tip though!
Posted 14 years ago
markwilliams says:
So here's more SmartAdd goofiness.

Two tasks today I entered via gmail as per usual and with the ^saturday tag and both tasks had no due date when received into RTM.

They appeared in my inbox as two separate tasks named "^saturday" also due on saturday.

What's up with that?
Posted 14 years ago
Like I mentioned before, that could be a problem with the message being wrapped onto multiple lines. Does this happen with tasks that have shorter names?
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.