Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Email fields not working - why?

toddcollins99 says:
I'm only a few days in, but struggling with the create-by-email function. Specifically the tags for due date, priority, etc., don't seem to work. I've tried the following, all at the top of the email body.

T: name name
Task: name name
D: Monday
Date: next Monday
Priority: 1

All keep coming into the task as Notes. What am I doing wrong?
Posted at 4:09pm on August 22, 2009
dalue says:
Same happens to me. It seems that the "Task:" / "T:" keyword isn't correctly recognized. If I put the task description into the subject, everything is fine. But I need the "Task" keyword for a large import of task.

Daniel
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
This will often happen if there's a significant portion of the message that isn't picked up correctly by the importer.

Some tips from the email help page:
Try separating the task properties from any note content with three hyphens: "---".
Try adding "-end-" at the bottom of whatever content you want to be picked up, e.g. at the bottom of the note, above your email signature.

Daniel,
If you're importing a large list of tasks, you might want to consider using your import email address.
Posted 14 years ago
toddcollins99 says:
Thanks Andrew. The 3 hyphens did the trick.
Posted 14 years ago
dalue says:
Hi Andrew

I've used three hyphens and had added "-end-" at the end of the email. I've checked for line wraps, etc.

I couldn't use the import email address because I have some tags and several notes for each task.

I've ended up by a self-made ruby script, which reads an csv file with my tasks and notes and creates a mail for each row. This has worked quite well.

Daniel
Posted 14 years ago
Todd,
Glad that worked!

Daniel,
Yes, you either have to choose to import one task with properties or multiple without. Your Ruby script will probably be the most useful to you if you need to get both functionalities.
Posted 14 years ago
nbr says:
I'm having the same problem. If anyone figures out a workaround, I'd be very grateful to hear about it. Whenever I email a task, everything in the body of the email is turned into a note (including all the task properties). I've tried various formatting variations with no success.
Posted 14 years ago
dwhock says:
It appears that the email interface is not working. Both the add task via email and the import list of tasks via email directions end up with the subject of the note as a task in the inbox with all the text from the body included as a note.
Posted 14 years ago
dwhock,
As I mentioned above, this can happen if the body of the email has a lot of unrecognized text that isn't explicitly marked as a note.

Would it be possible to paste the body of your email in its entirety?

If you'd rather not do so publicly, could you submit an Emailing Tasks issue report via our support system?

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
dwhock says:
This function now appears to be fixed
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.