Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Mobile does not recognize RTM email address with plus sign

mujahid7ia says:
Hi, just signed up for RTM, looks great... I was planning to send tasks from my mobile mostly, but it won't recognize the email address for sending tasks as it contains a plus sign. Does anyone know any workarounds for this? I think I can just set one of my gmail accounts to autoforward anything from my mobile to my gmail to my RTM address, but sometimes I would actually want my mobile emails staying in my gmail account... so I was wondering if there was any other way.
By the way, I have an LG CU920 (Vu) on AT&T.

Thanks!
Posted at 3:56am on July 19, 2009
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
mujahid7ia,

Do you use Twitter through SMS? If so, perhaps you could twitter your messages via SMS (specifically the direct message tool in Twitter) to send tasks from your mobile. You can find out more at https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/twitter/
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Does it allow you to add an email address to a contact? Perhaps it would validate differently there?

You could use that Gmail method and just make the Gmail filter look for [RTMTask] in the subject or something too. That way you'd have to add that extra step for it to be forwarded.

Beyond that, I'm not very familiar with the LG OS that's apparently on that phone, so I'm not sure if there's any workaround to that. It ultimately sounds like a bug, since plus signs are "obviously" supported. :)
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of cellphones (and web hosting software) out there that simply do not accept "plus" signs in e-mail addresses. I can't enter my "special" RTM address into my phone, and what's worse, none of my 3 web hosting accounts will allow me to forward a simpler address to my "special" RTM address, because they also do not accept plus signs.

While your are clearly on the side of right in suggesting that there's nothing wrong with plus signs (the RFC supports you--anyone who doesn't accept plus signs in e-mail addresses is just plain wrong), from a practical point of view this is still a probably, at least for a few more years.

Would you guys please consider making it so that in addition to our "known" RTM address (with the plus sign), we also have an alias where the plus sign is omitted (or replaced with a period or something) so that users like me who are butting heads with this problem have a simple workaround?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Sorry for the typos above; I'm typing too fast here. :)
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Unfortunately our current system wouldn't support adding any kind of "alias" addresses. I'd suggest clamoring to your ISP/cellphone provider/etc. about this limitation (use the RFC for a bit of extra clout ;).
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.