Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Odd results since I began using MilkSync

chris.waters says:
I'm a relatively new RTM user. I've entered about a hundred tasks over the last month. I also have a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone.

Earlier this week I downloaded the MilkSync for Windows Mobile trial. Since installing the trial on my WM device and then syncing, I've noticed that some of my recurring tasks appear multiple times in the browser. I haven't found a pattern to this problem yet, but it concerns me. My more immediate concern is what to do about the recurring tasks.

When I delete these duplicate recurring tasks, I'm prompted to delete the re-occurrence of them, too. I've been answering "Yes", figuring that the one remaining recurring tasks will suffice; but is that a correct assumption?
Posted at 3:54am on June 19, 2009
chris.waters says:
Any comments, anyone?
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Chris,
Sorry for the delay in writing you back.

Recurring tasks can be one of two types: "after" or "every". You can read more about them on our Help page.

So I'm curious what your Repeat is set to, and I'm also curious how the tasks show up, e.g. do they duplicate with the same due date, or is there a task due today, one for the next time, etc.?
Posted 14 years ago
chris.waters says:
Thanks for the reply.

I believe I've configured all of my recurring tasks as 'repeat every'.

I noticed yesterday a 'duplicate' task--one that is set to repeat every other day--showed up with yesterday's date (i.e,. "Today"), showed up again with a date two day's later, and showed up again with a date two day's later after that; i.e., three tasks.

Another overdue recurring bi-weekly task showed up with the original date (e.g., June 16) and also showed up with a date two weeks later (e.g., June 30).

When this occurs, should I delete the upcoming task (e.g., June 30)? If so, should I answer 'Yes, delete the re-occurrences'? If I do so, will the first recurring task repeat once I mark it as complete?

Lastly, could this all be an unforseen side-effect of using MilkSync?
Posted 14 years ago
MilkSync should behave the same way as the website, i.e. it should only repeat a task once it's either due ("repeat every") or after having been marked complete ("repeat after").

It sounds like your tasks are being duplicated somehow. For now, you can safely delete the future occurrences (I'd suggest doing so on the website, where you have unlimited undo abilities if you accidentally delete too much) and the first one should repeat correctly after that. You can double-check the Repeat to make sure.

Beyond that, is there any pattern to the tasks that are duplicating? We don't have any known issues with MilkSync, but perhaps there's something going on here?
Posted 14 years ago
chris.waters says:
Thanks. Here's a current example that I haven't acted upon yet.

In my Health list, there's a task to 'Insert new disposible contact lenses'. The task is set to repeat on the 26th of every month. Since today is the 26th, the task has a due date listed as 'Today'.

I haven't done anything with this task yet, but there is already another, future, task in the list--having a due date of 'Jul 26'. Why is that? Is it because RTM realizes that *June* 26 is already here and, regardless of what I do with that task, there's a need to generate the *next* month's task already? (I didn't notice the July 26 task in the list until today--but that's not surprising, since I have a lot of tasks in this list.)

If I were to delete the *July* 26 task and it prompts me to delete future occurrences, will the existence of the recurring task dated *June* 26 (even after I mark it complete) still result in future instances of this recurring task being generated--including a task with a due date of *July* 26?

What I'm describing here might be normal RTM functionality; if so, I apologize...and I'll look for a better example. :)
Posted 14 years ago
chris.waters says:
Appreciate any responses. (My MilkSync trial expired--so I upgraded to a Pro account.)
Posted 14 years ago
Hi Chris,
Sorry for the delay in writing back to you.

What you describe is as RTM (and Windows Mobile's Tasks) should be functioning. When you set something to recur "every" month, it will repeat regardless of whether you completed the earliest one. If you only want it to repeat once the earliest occurrence is completed, use "after 1 month". That sounds like it'd be suitable for your contact lenses, where you need to replace them after a month, but if you're a week late, you wouldn't necessarily replace the next ones after three weeks. (Or maybe you would; don't take my word for it. :)

More on the repeat formats in our FAQ.

As for your second question, I believe it would stop repeating, even if you went back and marked the earliest one as completed (since what spawned the second one was reaching the due date, not marking them as completed).

Hope this helps; post back with any other questions!
Posted 14 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.